Chapter 26

Someone stepped out of the car and into the street light. I didn't know if I should run far away or be relieved. 

Dallas stood in the light and didn't say anything, just took off his shirt and tossed it to me. I pulled it on and mumbled, "Thanks," but I knew he didn't hear me. Thankfully, his shirt was big enough to cover some of my legs.

"Get in the car," he said. "Get in the mother fucking car! Now!"

I scrambled inside the car and Dallas followed. He drove away, leaving Two-Bit.

I thought he might take me to Buck's, but looking at his face, I knew he would explode before we got close. He pulled over in a vacant lot.

"Ava... Ava Rose Winston... what that fuck?!"

"I-I can expla-"

"I don't wanna fucking hear it!" Dallas punched the steering wheel and I flinched back, grabbing the door handle so I could leave if things got dangerous.

"Okay," I said quietly, trying to calm him down, "okay. I-"

"Just- just shut up!" He hit the wheel again.

I tried to remind myself that it was my brother, not dad, and Dal wouldn't hurt me.

He turned towards me and I shrunk towards the door even more. "Ava! I can't fucking believe you! I leave for a few hours- and you go whore around with Two-Bit!"

"I'm sorry." I held back tears, scared that Dallas was going to hurt me. He was acting just like Dad and I could smell beer on his breath. "Please, it won't happen again."

"Bullshit! How am I supposed to fucking believe you?!"

If I raised my voice, he might get even madder. "Just don't hit me. Please."

I closed my eyes as tightly as I could, waiting. Tears leaked from the corners of them and it made me feel weak.

"Jesus Christ," Dallas muttered, all anger gone from his voice. "I'm... I'm not gonna hurt you, kid."

I wanted to believe him, but sometimes Dad would say the same thing and wait until I calmed down to hurt me. I was shaking and I hated it but I couldn't stop.

"Ava, calm down. I swear I'd never..." Dallas stopped talking.

He let me cry for a long time, just sitting in the driver's seat and not saying anything. I knew he didn't know what to do but I was happy that he was there and stayed with me and didn't hurt me.

I stopped crying and sat up, wiping at my eyes, too embarrassed to even look in Dally's direction.

We sat in the car for another few minutes in silence before Dally asked, "Do you wanna stay the night at Buck's and talk some tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

I woke up and showered, taking my time to get ready. I knew Dally was downstairs and waiting for me so we could talk, but I was holding it off for as long as I could.

I got dressed and went downstairs, dreading this talk more with every step.

"Hey, Ava, how do you feel?" Dally asked. He offered me a drink but I declined.

I shrugged. "I'm alright."

"Uhh, so, 'bout last night, I'm... sorry for how I acted."

"It's okay." It really was and I got why he freaked out.

"I talked to the guys."

So, he knew what happened. At least I didn't have to explain that.

"I'm not mad, kid." He paused awkwardly, then added, "Just be careful, alright?"

"Alright."

"I just don't want you to get hurt is all." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "So, uh, you want to go to the Curtis' house?"

"Yeah."

We got to the Curtis' and were met with a bunch of hungover boys lounging around, trying to sleep or popping aspirin. Mickey Mouse was on and the chocolate cake was out, so things were pretty normal.

I sat down next to Dally and Pony. Two-Bit was lying on the floor at our feet, complaining about his headache. It seemed like he and Dally were on good terms, which I was glad for. Johnny was in the armchair, laughing with Steve and Soda.

"Is Darry at work?" I asked, wondering how he might manage to do anything with the hangover he had to have.

"Yeah, the poor bastard," Steve said, smiling. "Me and Soda here took off, though."

Two-Bit groaned and said, "I took off, too."

"I've never known you to have a job," Dally scoffed, kicking him. "What the fuck are you talkin' about?"

"I've been off for the past few years. Now quiet down, I'm tryin' to go to sleep."

"Didn't you work at the Dingo?" Pony asked, smiling.

Two-Bit nodded. "Please don't talk about it. It was the literal worst thing I've ever fucking done."

"Havin' a steady job was very hard on him," said Soda.

"It wasn't even that. It was kinda okay, havin' somethin' to go to every day. It just was shit there. Everyone was mean, you couldn't joke around, no drinkin'..."

I laughed and put my feet up on Two-Bit's back. "Your worst nightmare."

"You got that right."

"Speakin' of the Dingo," Steve said, "I'm hungry."

"Me too, but I'm tired of the Dingo," Pony whined, and everyone agreed.

"There's always gas stations. How 'bout a junk food raid?" Soda asked excitedly.

I, for one, wholeheartedly agreed.

"Fuck yeah!" I yelled, jumping up off the couch.

"Don't forget the beer," Two-Bit lazily reminded us, standing up.

We left the DX, our arms full of shit food that I was very excited for, some of it stolen and some of it not.

I was looking behind me as I walked next to Dally, talking to Johnny and Pony.

Dallas suddenly stopped and grabbed my arm, muttering something in my ear that I didn't quite catch.

"What?" I turned my head.

"Put your head down and fucking walk," Dally hissed, his grip on my arm tightening.

I looked away from him and put my head down, letting him walk between me and dad's car he was filling up at one of the pumps.