Chapter 38

"It's me."

"Ava! Are you-"

"Were you telling the truth?" I didn't want to waste my time with him, letting him pretend he cared about me. I just wanted answers.

He moved over and patted the bed next to him, wanting me to sit. I didn't move from the doorway.

Sighing, he said, "I didn't mean to tell Dallas."

"I don't care what you meant and didn't mean to do. Now answer the question."

"Yes. Your mom is back. That's why I've been callin' your friend and tryin' to find you, Ava, I wanted to protect you fro-"

I turned away, cutting him off. "Don't call Stacey ever again, or I'll tell the police everything you've ever done to me."

"Ava!" I heard him get off the bed and follow me, so I went faster. My heart was beating hard. "Wait!"

He grabbed my bad shoulder and I almost screamed. I turned around, knocking his hand off of me. "What?!"

"Stay away from your mother," he said. "I don't think she could be here for anythin' good."

"Why would I listen to you?" I took a step back, wanting to leave and never come back. Just standing there, in the living room, I could remember every miserable moment at that house. "Stay away from me!"

"She's dangerous, Ava! You-"

I left the house, ignoring dad as he called after me.

By the time I was back in my room at Buck's, I was a mess. I just wanted to stay locked away in Dal's room, avoiding social interaction at costs. I knew that I had to smell like smoke and booze from being at dad's, so I took a long shower, trying to repress bad memories the entire time. I focused on better times, like having fun with the gang.

After showering, I tried to decide what to do. I knew I had to get my mind off things, but I had no idea how to do that. There was always drinking until I couldn't see straight, but I didn't want to do that, especially not after being around dad and seeing what drinking had done to him.

I could go see the gang, but they might ask about Dally, or he might be with them. I knew I couldn't see Dally without telling him mom was back. I wanted to get it off my chest already, but everyone already had enough to worry about. With the upcoming rumble and Two-Bit being in the hospital, not to mention Dallas just being Dallas, all our lives were chaotic.

The only person I wanted to see was Two-Bit. The problem was that visiting hours were over, at least for guests that weren't family.

I walked into the hospital, a bouquet of stolen flowers in my hand. I kept almost dropping the damn things. I hurried up the stairs, trying to dodge nurses and doctors because a few of them had an idea of who I was. I was outside his room, almost there, before a nurse stopped me from opening the door.

"Visiting hours are over. You'll have to leave." Her voice was rough, the voice of a long-time smoker. I could smell strong flowery perfume coming off her. Her makeup looked really good, though.

"I was told family was allowed to come a few hours later." I lowered my flowers so I could look her in the face better.

She squinted at me like she was trying to see if I resembled Two-Bit in any way. "I saw his sister and his mom today. You can't be family since that's the only sister he's got."

"I'm his cousin. Just got into town from New York."

"Oh. Go in then."

Surprisingly, she believed me. I chalked it up to her being a bit of an airhead or something of that nature.

"I got you flowers, cousin." I set them on a little table beside his bed, winking.

"Thanks... cousin." He sounded a bit confused but went along with it nonetheless.

"I'm so glad they extend visitin' hours for family. Aren't you?"

He nodded, getting the message. I heard the nurse sigh and close the door.

"Good idea, Ava. Thank god I only got a few more days in this shithole."

"Four, right?"

"I think so." He shook his head, muttering, "Your brother owes me big time."

"Don't even talk about him right now," I grumbled back, rolling my eyes. "I can't stand to think about him."

"Whatever he's done, he'll figure out a way to worm outta it. He always does."

"I know." I didn't know how he would deal with mom, but I was sure he would figure it out.

I was the one having trouble. My mind kept bouncing back and forth between finding mom and hiding from her forever. Dad's word kept echoing in my head- "She's dangerous," and "She can't be here for anything good." Maybe dad was right and mom just wanted to hurt Dally and me somehow. But, on the other hand, there was no reason for him to care about Dal and me enough to warn us. Maybe he was wrong and mom wanted to make amends, or maybe he knew mom wanted to be a real mom and didn't want us to know.

Two-Bit sighed. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. "Nothin'. Just thinkin'."

"Don't lie. You can tell me."

Sighing, I said, "Promise you won't tell anyone."

"I pinky promise."

We shook pinkies.

"I swear to god if you say anything to Dallas I'll- I don't even know what I'll do, but you won't like it."

"I believe you."

I recapped everything with mom, even when she kicked Dal and me out of New York.

"What do you think I should do?" I asked, finally finishing my story. "Should I go after her? Should I leave her be?"

Two-Bit shrugged. "I know if I were you I'd get so drunk I wouldn't be able to even think about what was goin' on."

"Do you think I should do... that?"

"No, probably not," he said. "Listen, I'm not too good at this whole 'advice' thing. If you want my opinion, I think you should stay far fuckin' away from anyone that shares blood with you that isn't your brother. It's safer that way."

"So I should just hideaway?"

"Yes. Yeah, you should. But I don't think that you're going to do that. I think that if you even tried to avoid your mom and let Dallas get hurt, you'd never forgive yourself."

"I hate it when you're right."

"Just don't get hurt, dumbass."

"I won't, asshole."

I stood up, then leaned down and kissed him goodbye. When I pulled away, he grabbed my good arm and pulled me back down, kissing me again. He kept one hand on my arm, on put the other on my waist, then moving it higher under my shirt. I wasn't arguing, and he slowly moved his hand up.

"What in God's name?!"

We both sprung apart.

The nurse- the one who believed that I was his cousin- was standing in the doorway.

Two-Bit started giggling, and I wanted to die. "I-I can explain... um, we're-"

"Get out! And may God have mercy on your souls."

Two-Bit started laughing harder. I left his room, wanting never to come back.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ava!"