Chapter 6

I ended up outside of Buck's, but before I went in, I shook my head. I didn't need to be drinking. Hell, I didn't need to be wandering around by myself while I was already hurt.

I sat on the steps to the bar, but I had to do so gingerly. I thought about where to go, and eventually decided on the Drive-In. I needed a fun night after the hell I'd had with Dad. The Drive-In usually showed shit movies, but that was okay I could always find friends there.

I got to the Drive-In and snuck under the fence right as the second movie was starting. I almost went to try and find some friends, but decided to try and watch the movie first.

After a few minutes, I realized that I would never be able to care about the plot, if one even existed. It was one of those beach movies that was really just an excuse to show girls in bikinis.

I stood up and stretched. Digging in my pockets, I found a quarter- just enough to buy something to snack on.

When I put my popcorn on the counter, someone behind me smacked a coin down onto the countertop.

"I got it," Two-Bit said cooly.

I smiled immediately, then remembered dad's warning words to me.

I wasn't to be around any boys even if they were related to me. If I was, he would find out.

"No, I got money," I grumbled, already feeling my stomach twist. I was going to have to be a bitch to him no matter how nice he was to me, but it was for my own good. I pushed his coin aside and payed myself.

I tried to push past him, keeping my head down. I didn't want any questions about the bruises littering my skin, seeming as common as leaves on a tree.

He grabbed my arm gently and spun me around. I couldn't find the confidence to look him in the eyes.

He sighed and let go of my arm. "Another fight?" he asked tiredly.

I nodded stiffly. "Yes," I snapped. Already feeling bad, I added, "Why do you care so much, huh? Just stay outta my business, okay?"

He opened his mouth to answer, then just shook his head sadly. He went outside quickly, pushing past people. I almost followed him, but didn't. I couldn't be around him anymore.

I went back to my seat after a few minutes and tried to shake the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach and get absorbed in the movie even if there wasn't a damn plot.

After awhile, I stood up and decided to just leave. I would go back home and sulk, probably. That night had not been the greatest night and I didn't have the energy to try and make it any better.

When I got to the hole in the fence I usually went in and out of, I saw some other people using it but I figured I could just ignore them. It was dark out so I couldn't really see who it was.

When I got closer, I saw it was Pony and Johnny. Before I could turn away, Pony saw me and nudged Johnny.

"Hey, Ava. How you been?" Pony asked happily, smiling at me.

"We ain't seen you in awhile," Johnny added quietly.

I sighed and looked at the ground. I had to blow them off. I had to be a bitch. I couldn't be around the gang anymore.

But I couldn't. Not to them. Not after how I'd felt when I'd talked to Two-Bit last.

I also couldn't be friends with them anymore. If I could just explain that Dad didn't want me around them...

But how could I explain that and not mention the fact that he hit me? They would obviously suggest me just not listening to him and hanging out with them anyways.

"Hi," I responded weakly, giving the two boys a fake smile.

Pony asked, "Did you see Two-Bit tonight? He went to get some food, then came back all mad about somethin'. He's gone now, but..." Pony shrugged.

"Uh, yeah, I saw him earlier," I admitted quietly. "He got mad at me, I guess."

"Well, what'd you do? I ain't seen him that bothered by somethin' in a long time," Johnny joked, nudging Ponyboy. "Maybe we can get him to go home more often if we know how to make him that mad."

I shrugged unhappily. "I don't wanna talk about it."

We left the Drive-In. I felt like a piece of shit the whole time because I'd upset Two-Bit that much.

When we got to the sidewalk where we had to part ways, Ponyboy smiled. "If you need to stay the night, the couch is open."

I frowned. I had to tell them.

"Uh, guys," I began, wishing I didn't have to do this, "I can't hang out anymore. It ain't anythin' you've done, but- I just can't."

They both looked at each other kind of sadly.

Pony barked, "Two-Bit did somethin' earlier, didn't he?"

"Huh?"

"When we was so mad. He did somethin' stupid, didn't he?"

"No, he didn't," I said slowly, surprised at Pony's sudden outburst. "Listen, I'm real sorry and I had a bunch of fun with y'all, but I just can't be your friend anymore."

I snuck inside the house, making no noise as I entered. Thankfully, dad was passed out on the couch, snoring loudly with a beer still in his hand.

My stomach was in knots, and I felt sick.

I knew why. I felt so bad because of what I had to tell Pony and Johnny, and how Two-Bit had gotten so upset.

Shaking my head, I went to my room and shut the door gently behind me. I was doing it for my own good. No matter how bad I felt now, my actions would protect myself in the future.