Chapter 14

Two-Bit glanced back at me and I shrugged. That was news to me.

"What really happened?" Two-Bit sat down and put his head in his hands. I wanted to comfort him, but I had no idea how.

She looked afraid all over again, her gray eyes getting wide and teary. "This mean boy saw me playing on the street and he said he knew I was your little sister. He said that greasers were pieces of poop and that you were a mother-" Katie paused, skipping over the curse word and hummed instead. "I told him that he was stupid and that you were amazing and he laughed and said more mean things. He broke a bottle on the ground. After I kicked him in the shin, he pushed me over into it. Then he ran like a baby!"

I wanted to go out and kick some ass, and I could only imagine what Two-Bit was feeling like doing.

"I know who it was," Two-Bit muttered. "I know exactly who it was."

"Who was it?" I asked, hoping I knew the people. If I knew them, I could find them. And hurt them.

Just then, someone knocked on the door.

"Hey, it's us!" Dallas shouted from outside the hospital room. I looked at Two-Bit and he nodded, so I opened the door. The entire gang was there, all of them with looks of concern on their faces. They all crammed into the hospital room, Katie seeming pretty happy to see all of them.

Darry asked, "What happened?"

Two-Bit briefly explained.

Everyone was ready for a fight.

"Remember a few weeks back, when I fought with that Soc 'cause he called Pony and Johnny"- he glanced back at Katie- "a really mean word that I can't say right now?" They all nodded, except for me, but I understood what happened pretty quickly. "Well, I saw that as-meanie the other day, out at the Dingo with Katie, and he promised to get me back."

"How do you know? Did she tell you what he looked like?" Darry asked, a grim look on his face. "We can't just go fight random people."

Soda cleared his throat and stepped up to Katie. "Katie, I'm gonna need you to tell us what they looked like, okay?"

Katie nodded and described the Soc. He was a tall and skinny brunette.

Two-Bit nodded, almost to himself, and said, "That's Rory."

"Rory?" I asked, feeling myself sneer. "As in Rory Goodwin?"

Dallas pulled the same face I did. "Yeah. You get the pleasure of meetin' him before?"

I nodded. Rory was one of those people that reminded me of a pile of dog shit on the side of the street. "I know him. He goes to my school." There were rumors that he'd raped a senior girl last year at a party, but they'd never been confirmed, all though everyone was pretty sure they were true.

"Poor thing," Soda muttered, looking at me. "I'd hate havin' to see Rory's face every day."

"Trust me, I do."

"So, let's go find him," Two-Bit announced, standing up from the hospital chair. He sounded way to calm for this situation.

Darry grabbed his arm as he walked past him. "Wait until your mom gets here. She needs you," he whispered, glancing at Katie. Two-Bit looked like he was going to snap at Darry, then shook his head.

"I'll wait." Two-Bit pulled his arm out of Darry's grip, then added, "But I ain't happy about it."

Two-Bit's Mom got to the hospital a few hours later, still wearing her waitressing outfit. She let us leave, but not before hugging each member of the gang and embarrassing Two-Bit by asking if I was his girlfriend. According to his mom, he really needed one.

We walked into the Curtis' house and Darry distributed food to everyone. It was dark outside and we all had been at the hospital for a long time, so we all needed the food.

"Where do you think he is," Dally asked, leaning on the doorway. He lit a cigarette and frowned. "He don't got any friends, so he shouldn't be at the Drive-In."

I laughed bitterly. "Yeah, he got friends. Somehow. Has a girlfriend too, but that don't stop him from flirtin' with every girl in sight."

"Well, he's out and about somewhere," Soda said, frowning.

Two-Bit stood up. "Then let's go look! I'm tired of sittin' around and waitin' for this prick to show up on our doorstep or somethin'!" He took a huge gulp of his beer and went out the door.

I stood up to follow him, but Dallas grabbed my sleeve. "Ava, you're stayin' here."

"No, I'm not."

"Just 'cause you got a crush on Two-Bit don't mean you can go."

Darry cleared his throat. "He's right, Ava. You can't go. You might get hurt."

Steve laughed, the added, "Girls shouldn't fight, even if they got a crush on somebody."

I opened my mouth to scream at them, but no words came out. Have you ever been so angry you couldn't speak? Yeah, well, I was.

They went out the door, leaving me to sit and wait for them.

I mumbled, "Fuck you, then. Goddamn pricks." I went to the fridge and got out a beer bottle. I made a decision quickly. I was going to get shitfaced tonight.

Sorry, this chapter was a bit shorter, but it was exam week this week and I haven't had time to write. I hope you enjoyed, and don't remember to comment and vote! Hopefully, I'll be able to get a Christmas update out! 🎄🎄🎄 Happy Holidays, everyone!