Chapter 20

I hurt all over. My vision was blurry and it seemed like everything was spinning. The back of my shirt began to stick to my skin as it got soaked with blood.

I finally made it to a pay phone. I was almost praying as I put in the only change I had, hoping that I wouldn't forget Two-Bit's number.

The phone rang a few times, and I almost hung up.

"Hello? Katie Elizabeth Mathews speakin'."

"Thank god," I muttered. "Katie, is your brother there?"

"Yeah, I can get him. One minute."

I waited, feeling weaker and weaker with every passing second. I focused on staying awake, afraid I would pass out and some Soc or an unfriendly Greaser would find me. I shuddered as I imagined Dad following me out here.

"Hello?" Two-Bit sounded tired.

"I'm hurt," I groaned, not wanting to beat around the bush.

"Ava? Holy shit, I'll be at your house as soon as I can."

"I'm not there. I'm on the corner of ,uh, Sutton and Hale. It's close to my house."

"Gimme 5 minutes."

I woke up in an unfamiliar bed with a killer headache. I immediately noticed that I was sleeping on my stomach, which I never did. I felt something wrapped around my stomach and back, and when I moved, I groaned in pain. Looking around as best as I could, I saw some machines hooked up to me, and I quickly deduced I was at the hospital.

I needed water. My mouth was dry as a desert and I didn't want to wait for a nurse, but I had to. No one was in the room with me and I could only guess where the gang might be.

Someone opened the door.

"Hi," I croaked.

The nurse jumped- I could see her from the corner of my eye- then laughed. "You're up."

"Yup." I tried to move, but I was sore and my back hurt, so I stayed still. "What time is it?"

"About 2 P.M. You've been asleep since 1 A.M."

"Jesus Christ." I closed my eyes, wondering where everyone was. "Do you know what happened to the person that dropped me off?"

"Oh, yeah. He wanted to stay with you, but it was past visiting time. He said he'd be back as soon as he could."

"Wait," I said, "have you been here since, like, 1? As in 1 A.M?"

"No, no. My friend told me about it. She thought his worrying over you was cute." The nurse frowned and looked at my injuries. I knew what she was thinking.

"It wasn't him." I sighed. "Can I have somethin' to drink, please?"

"Yes, of course."

I considered trying to leave when the nurse left the room, but didn't. I bitterly hoped that the hospital bill was going to be sent to Dad.

Someone knocked on the door. I chuckled, guessing that the nurse has learnt manners knowing I was awake. But did it really matter if she knocked while I was asleep?

"Come in!" I noticed that my voice was hoarse.

The nurse walked in, followed by a cop. Fuck.

I felt like I knew the cop as he came into my view. He was older, in good shape.

Katie! He was the cop that had come when Katie had gotten hurt! Officer Brian? No.

"Hello, Ava. You remember me, right?"

I nodded. "Yup. Katie's doin' good, by the way." He sat down. Officer Brown? No.

"Ava, I'm gonna have to ask you some questions about your injures. The doctors here have alerted the police, sayin' that these injuries align with physical abuse. Naturally, we are always concerned with cases of abuse." He clicked his pen and flipped open a notepad. "I will be askin' you-"

"I ain't abused."

"Okay..." He wrote something down immediately. "What happened?"

"I... uh... got into a bar fight. A really bad one, and got my ass handed to me. But I wasn't drinkin'."

"Uh huh." He did not believe me at all. "And the belt marks are from?"

"I pissed this guy off real bad, so he... hit me with his belt."

"And what did you do to piss them off so much?"

Officer Brandon? No.

"I, uh, I hit on their boyfriend."

"I thought you said the assailant was a man?"

"Yeah, he was. It was two guys." I was totally caught in my lie.

Officer Whatever leaned forward in the chair and sighed. "Please don't lie. It makes this whole process harder than it should be."

"I don't feel good enough to do this."

Officer Whatever rolled his eyes at me. "Okay. I'll be back tomorrow."

He got up and left, and I relaxed greatly. The nurse came black into my room and gave me some water.

"Jesus Christ." I stared at the door, wishing literally anyone would show up. At that point, I'd probably been happy if a fucking Soc walked through the door. 

It's been hours since the cop had shown up, and some other nurse was on duty. She was a real bitch, so I couldn't talk to her.

I stared at the wall. Hopefully, I would be able to get out of this hellhole soon. I assumed I wouldn't have to stay for long, considering I wasn't on the brink of death or anything. I'd been hit with his belt before, but not like this.

I began to wonder where Two-Bit was. He told the nurse he'd be back as soon as he could. I tried to swallow fear as I imagined him going after Dad again, maybe with others and maybe without. Hopefully, he would have the sense to leave my dad alone, but I couldn't see him being the safe type.

The same could be said for Dallas, but to more of an extreme. I was almost certain that he and Dad would be seeing each other again in the near future and the results wouldn't be pretty.

Sorry that this chapter is a bit of a filler, but I promise more exciting things are to come.

Updates will still be regular (every Sunday) unless I get completely overloaded with school work. I'm already missing Christmas break and I've only been in school for a week! At least the school year's halfway over! So, good luck on grades, especially after taking exams!