Chapter 28

After a nice but awkward car ride, Two-Bit pulled into the Drive-In after actually paying which was a rare sight.

"Do you wanna stay in the car?"

An image of what people usually did in their cars flashed through my head. I felt myself blush and almost giggle from embarrassment.

Looking at Two-Bit's face, I could see him realize the implications of what he had said. "Not like that!" he yelled, his face turning red. "I mean-"

"We can stay in the car."

"Okay. Do you want anythin' to eat?"

"Actually, some popcorn sounds nice." I grabbed the door handle but he stopped me before I could leave.

"I'll get it." He left the car quickly, almost hitting his head on the way out. I laughed to myself because of his embarrassment.

I didn't think this date would be too awkward because we'd known each other for a while, but I was very wrong. Going somewhere as friends, especially with a large group of people, and going on a date were two extremely different things, I discovered.

"I'm back," he said, stepping into the car and handing me my popcorn.

I dug into my pocket. "I'll pay you back..."

"No, it's fine. The guy is supposed to pay on dates anyway."

"Thanks."

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Two-Bit cleared his throat. "Why don't blind people skydive?"

"Why not?" I asked cautiously, ready for a shitty joke.

Two-Bit grinned as he said, "Because it scares their dogs!"

"Wow...that was a special kind of joke," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "Don't you have anythin' better than that?"

"Yeah, but they're all dirty." He shrugged. "Didn't think it'd be nice to tell you one of those on our first date."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Yeah, at least wait 'til the second."

"Duh." Just as he began to talk again, the movie started and I shushed him.

"I wanna watch this," I groaned. "You said it looked good."

"Uh, yeah. It does."

Okay, maybe I didn't believe him that this was going to be good. I didn't even think he knew what the movie was going to be about. I just wanted to see him nervous about if he were right or not.

The movie began and I instantly knew it would be bad. It was another typical Drive-In movie, with girls running around everywhere and no plot.

I raised my eyebrows. "What's this called?"

"Uhhhh..."

I laughed at his embarrassment, and soon he did too.

"I thought you said I would like this?"

"It might have been a guess." Shrugging, he added, "I wasn't gonna say, 'Hey, wanna see a movie you'll hate completely?' I wanted to have some kinda chance."

"You couldn't have taken me any other place?" I teased, smiling. "Like the Dingo?"

"You know that gang might show up there," he said. "They won't be here, and if they do show, I can say we came separately and found each other in the stands, came back down to the car 'cause it got cold or somethin'. Just us two at the Dingo would be more suspicious."

"Wow, you really put thought into this."

"I don't want your brother to find out until you tell him. If he hears from the gang... it wouldn't be too good, I'm guessin'."

He wasn't wrong about that. We both knew that one of the members of the gang would eventually blab to Dally either accidentally or purposefully- only on purpose if we made them mad- and that would end disastrously.

Just then, someone started beating on the driver's side window. Two-Bit's eyes went wide as saucers, and I'm sure mine did too. Looking over his shoulder, I saw an annoyed Tim Sheppard hitting his window and saying something.

"It's Tim," I sighed, feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off me.

Two-Bit smiled and turned to the window. He rolled it down and Tim started blabbing.

"Hey, Two-Bit. You seen Dally around?"

"Not lately. Why?"

"He fuckin'... is that Ava?" Tim looked at me and frowned. "Are you on a date?"

"Are you gonna hurt my brother?" I spat back, narrowing my eyes.

He shrugged. "Don't tell him about me lookin' for him and I won't tell about seein' you two together." Everyone knew Dally didn't want me dating, and Tim knew for sure as well, being Dally's friend.

I nodded. "Deal."

He nodded and walked away, muttering under his breath. Two-Bit looked at me and asked, "You're just gonna-"

"Nah, I'll tell Dally."

He nodded and we kept talking, only stopping when the second movie started. It wasn't bad, and I started to pay more attention.

I heard Two-Bit yawn beside me, and from the corner of my eye, I saw him pull that cheesy move, 'yawning' into his hand. He stretched his arms out and wrapped one around my shoulders. I could see him watching me, acting like he was looking at the movie, seeing if I was going to make him move or let his arm stay. I blushed again, smiling, even if the move was overused. Somehow, it was still cute. I let his arm stay.

The movie ended after a few more minutes, and cars started to pull out.

"So, was that good enough for a second date?"

He actually looked nervous, like I might say no.

"Yeah, it was."

He dropped me off at Stacey's. Stacey glared at him as he drove away, still muttering about what he was wearing. I didn't have the heart to tell her she had tried to hook up with him.

After I changed, she and I talked for a while.

"How'd it go?" she asked, sitting on her bed. "You guys-"

"It was nice," I said, "and we didn't do anythin'."

"Boring."

I rolled my eyes and sat down on her bed with her. I was spending the night and would return to the Curtis' in the morning. They all thought I was just hanging out with Stacey all night.

I remembered what she said about her having to tell me something. "Stacey, what didn't you tell me earlier?"