Chapter 19

I walked into my house, immediately seeing some blood on the floor.

"Dad?"

I walked through the kitchen, noticing a rag with more blood on it.

"Dad!"

I burst into his bedroom and saw him laying eagle-spread on his bed, passed out. His face was swollen and black-and-blue with cuts from Dallas' rings.

"Jesus Christ." I went into the kitchen and got a new rag, soaking it with cold water. I grabbed cotton balls and whatever else I could find that might help Dad.

Hours went by as I treated Dad, trying not to wake him up but still help him as much as possible.

"What..." His eyes, the same light brown as mine, fluttered open.

I leaned back a bit. "Are you alright?"

His face turned sour. "What does it look like?!" He sat up, batting at my hands. "Where's your fuckin' brother?!"

"The fuzz got him."

"Oh. Good!" He looked at me suddenly, groaning and frowned. "At least he and your friends made me realize somethin'."

"What?"

He looked at me, and I thought I saw tears in his eyes. "I'm so sorry, Ava. I've been so mean to you all these years. It ain't fair, and I wish I could take it back, but I can't."

I hugged Dad, holding back tears. "It's okay." I was wondering how long his new mood would last.

I walked to the Curtis', a new spring in my step. I had spent the whole morning waiting on Dad, helping him get better and getting him stuff when he needed it. Dallas beat him up pretty good.

"Hey, guys!" I walked into the house and sat down on the couch, smiling widely at everyone.

Two-Bit glanced at me. "You're happy."

"Yup! I am." I felt like dancing. Two days and Dad hadn't done anything. Two whole days.

"Is your dad alright?" Johnny asked quietly.

I nodded. "I've been helpin' him get better. He can't do shit right now."

"Oh." Johnny continued the card game he and Pony were playing.

Two-Bit sat down next to me. "Has he..."

"Nope."

Two-Bit said seriously, "If somethin' happens, call me. Seriously."

"I will. But I don't think anythin' will happen."

Two weeks later, I was with Stacey at the Drive-In, catching up with her. I felt bad because I'd practically abandoned her, but she understood. That was one of the good things about her- she was good at understanding people.

She dropped me off at my house at about midnight. I was still euphoric because Dad was leaving me alone, and he felt a lot better. I didn't have to take care of him anymore. He'd dragged that on a bit, but I thought it was a great trade, him leaving me alone and me having to help him for a while.

I stepped into the house and saw him sitting on the couch, waiting. I felt that familiar fear but pushed it back. He was okay now. He wasn't going to hurt me anymore.