Chapter 28: The Nai story

That night, Beam and I were alone in our assigned room. I had told him everything that had happened between me and Nai this morning, and he had patiently listened to me; only speaking after I was finished.

Pha had taken Yo out for a milkshake date, while Ming was organising an event with his senior (also Beam's soon to be boyfriend) P'Forth.

Beam and I had a long talk, and it turns out, Beam knew a lot more than I thought about Nai. He was his cousin after all, well, step cousin.

Nai's mother had married Beam's uncle when Nai was twelve years old, however she had passed away only three years later. Leaving Nai in the care of his step dad, as his actual dad had abandoned them at a young age.

"So you're actually not related at all," I realised.

Beam shook his head.

There was silence in the room for a few minutes before I spoke again.

"I want to know more about what Nai said this morning. I have to go and ask him about it."

Beam's head shot up to look at me with widened eyes. "Are you insane Kit?" He asked frantically.

I chuckled at him, "no but this situation is."

He didn't appreciate my joke, instead swiftly saying, "you aren't going anywhere near him."

"But I have to know the whole story." I insisted.

He shook his head again, "I don't care. I hope Pha comes back soon to talk some sense into you."

"Aren't you curious though Beam?" I asked him.

"Nope." He shook his head curtly, "not at all."

But I knew he was lying. He was Beam after all. He wanted to know all the gossip about everyone no matter how boring it was. He was the gossip informed queen Beam after all.

"But I need to know why he did what he did," I reasoned with him, "there's no way a person could do all those traumatic things to another without there being a reason for it."

"You think he's going to tell you why he did what he did?" Beam scoffed.

"I mean he was willing to just this morning."

"He could lie to you!"

"I know," I shrugged my shoulders, "but I'm willing to hear him out."

"Ahh," Beam shouted, reaching into his pocket to pull his phone out. "I can't take this anymore, I'm calling Pha; he needs to come and stop you."

However, before Beam could actually call him, I had already dashed out of the room.  Beam was chasing after me within a few seconds.

I ran straight to P'Tee's room and banged on the door.

He opened it after a few seconds with a grumble, "What?" He asked as soon as he saw my face, a scowl forming instantly.

"P, where is Nai's room?" I asked breathlessly.

"Why-" he shook his head stopping himself from asking me. I smirked at him, "36E." He replied with a sigh.

Before he could say anything else, I had already taken off. This time, I ran slower knowing that I had lost Beam along the way.

I silently blessed his pathetic sense of direction, and his lack of ability to run. Although I wasn't good at running either, I was certainly better than him. I mean he couldn't even chase after a four year old for five minutes.

I found the room quickly, and taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door.

Nai opened, his puffy eyes widening as he saw me standing there. Had he been crying?