Chapter 2 - Torrents wash away everything

‘Torrent’ – Àsgier

Torrents wash away everything

Four beers, a quarter of a bottle of vodka, three cans of Coke later and Niall didn’t make it very far when he slammed the front door of Zayn’s house. The sun was shining but he felt ice cold as he sucked in a deep breath. He was on edge, he closed his eyes and sat on the large granite step. The air was hot, sticky as he ran his hands through his overgrown hair, she was everywhere. She haunted him, tormented him with guilt and broken promises, with all the things she said and all the things she didn’t.

Niall had learnt the hard way about second chances, about keeping his mouth shut and hiding his emotions. But it was too late, seeing Harry and Louis together was overwhelming for a multitude of reasons. On one level, he was overjoyed for his two best friends. They had been through hell and back several times. Harry and Louis deserved a dream wedding, their fairytale ending but it hurt Niall to smile for them. The smile, though genuine cracked his tired face like weathered stone. 

He felt the cracks along his skin like veins, the burden of Dakota’s disappearance weighed him down. Missing her was the heaviest of weights, though he tried to forget and break through the veil of darkness, he was stuck. Drowning in regret. Deep down, he knew she was dead. 

Niall put his face in his hands, sucking in his tears. Don’t cry, don’t cry. She wouldn’t want you to cry. Be strong

Niall had gone over every detail, right down to the way her eyes sparkled or flared with anger in their every interaction. He recalled everything, the way she spat insult and called him a mistake. He searched his mind for reason, signs of her lies and found them everywhere he looked. When she tried to break his heart at the airport, as he recalled her face he realised her own was breaking too. Her eyes welled with tears, she cried as he walked away. 

Zayn held her, he pushed everyone further away every time he saw the cracks in her facade. All he had left of Dakota was bittersweet memories, the worst part of all…he was beginning to forget every beautiful detail of her face. The birthmark on her collarbone was blurred, her eyes became hazy when he dreamt of her. She was slipping away from his grasp and it was eating him alive. 

The door behind him opened, Niall squeezed his eyes shut tighter and pushed his sadness away. “I’m fine,” he grunted. No you’re not. You don’t eat or sleep, you’re disintegrating in front of them all.

“No running today?” Liam asked as he sat down next to Niall. 

Niall didn’t look up, he shook his head. 

“I’m fine, Liam.”

Liam shifted to face Niall with a sigh, “No you’re not.”

“Does it matter?”

“Of course it does,” Liam smiled but Niall didn’t turn to face him. 

His eyes planted firmly on the granite beneath his black Vans, Niall sucked in a breath. Hold on. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“You have to…” Liam put a hand on Niall’s back and rubbed gently. 

Niall flinched and shrugged him off as he sat up, “No I don’t.” His words slurred. 

“Eventually,” Liam said, sadly. “You do.”

“Why?” Niall stood up. He picked up the beer at his side and without casting a glance at Liam began for the gate. 

“Niall, stop running away!” Liam called. 

Niall shook his head. 

“We’re worried about you!” he shouted, voice riddled with defeat.