Chapter 9 - The nights are getting shorter

‘Mother & Father’ – Broods

The nights are getting shorter

Niall was puffing away aggressively on his cigarette as the lights of The White Elephant sign buzzed, flickered and then settled in a vibrant white in the shadows of sunset. He blinked staring at them and wondering just how messed up he was going to get tonight, he thought of his booth in the club and sighed. Harry was staring intently into the distance and for a moment Niall swore he saw all the colour drain from Harry’s face. He wanted to tell Harry that he was alright, all be it he wasn’t what he was before and his heart was cracked and weathered but he was okay for the most part. I will be okay.

Harry turned away, hushed whispers into the phone and Niall felt the buzz of vodka tingling his veins. He hummed absently to the song he’d just written, he wanted to tell the boys he’d been writing again but wasn’t sure if he was ready to expose the lyrics. Showing the boys, his brothers’ the lyrics to the songs he’d written was like slicing open his chest and exposing it to them all. I can’t, not yet. Every song, every lyrics…every melody was about Dakota.

Harry hung up and turned around, “I need to go back to the house,” he said and turned for his car. 

Niall frowned, “That’s it?” He raised his hands into the air. “You’re not going to tell me anything, you’re just leaving?”

Harry shrugged, his eyes were terribly sad as he glanced over his shoulder at Niall. “What’s the point?” He sighed, “You seem hellbent on pushing everyone away.”

“Fuck you!” Niall spat as he stormed towards Harry. “You can’t do that, you can’t push me away.”

“Why not?” Harry hissed as he fumbled for the keys in his pocket. 

Niall caught the corners of Harry’s mouth turn up in a triumphant smile, he’s baiting you to go with him and you fell for it. “What’s really happened?” Niall asked. 

The smile on Harry’s face faltered, he almost dropped the keys. “Nothing, just need to get ready for the studio tonight.”

Niall nodded as he climbed in beside Harry. Hey eyed the smooth, clean interior of the car as the soft leather seat squeaked beneath his weight. He shut his door and found the courage to reach out, “I started writing again,” he barely recognised his own voice it sounded so distant, so small. 

Harry’s hand shook and he dropped the keys at his feet, “Shit,” he swore. 

Niall frowned, “are you sure you’re okay?”

“Fine!” Harry hissed, “I’m fine.”

Niall smirked, “You look like you’re nervous…”

“Niall,” Harry snapped. “Just stop.”

“So why was Management really calling you?”  Niall folded his arms indignantly as he settled into the seat, smirking as he waited for Harry to reply. Drunk or not, Niall knew the boys better than he knew himself, he could tell if Harry was lying from a mile away. 

Niall was silently enjoying the company, simply being around someone again and bickering just like they used to. But even acting the way they used to ignited the sting of memory that Dakota wasn’t there. Where are you? He silently wondered, though he wasn’t ready to show the boys’ his music it felt good to finally admit he’d found the strength to start singing again. One step at a time, he knew he could survive but wondered if he would always feel only half alive without Dakota by his side…in his arms. Don’t think about her! Her soft laughter rippled through his thoughts, a tainted memory that only ignited the searing angst in his chest.