Chapter 8 - Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met

‘Trembling Hands’ – The Temper Trap

‘Red’ – Fifth Harmony Cover of Taylor Swift

Forgetting him was like, trying to know somebody you never met

Matthew climbed out of the car, discarding his sunglasses on the chair. He walked swiftly and she hadn’t even noted Voss’ presence only inches away. As he got closer the wind caught her words and he frowned as he listened to her frantic dialogue. Her hands were on her temples, she was thin…too thin and her hair was white blonde. It hung limply beside her face, though it was considerably shorter since the last time anyone had seen her. The jagged haircut left her long, brown locks now above her collarbone in a harsh bob. 

She shook her head from side to side, muttering, “It doesn’t make sense. A car crash, he died. Blood…everywhere. But I–“ she shook her head more and whimpered. “I don’t know his face, I don’t know him.”

“Excuse me, Miss,” Voss began and held up his hands in a sign of good will. 

She didn’t acknowledge him, at all.

She slapped her small fist into her head, repeatedly as she gasped, “Songs, in there…I don’t know them. I don’t know their faces, hurting me. He was hurting me…” she clutched at her heart. “He hurt my heart, blonde hair and eyes like sapphires but–“

“Daisy?” Voss began. 

She flinched, “it’s a dream. It’s a mess, my mind’s a mess.” She began to laugh but the sound was fragile and broken. “Sister, a sister she looks like me and sounds like me but she isn’t me and I can’t find her. I can’t find her!

“Miss?” Matthew stepped forward. “Are you alright?” He asked, though it was a stupid question in hindsight. 

A few people stood just near the tree line and watched, Matthew nodded to them in acknowledgement to them calling the police. He turned his attention back to the girl, Daisy who he could hardly recognise. Though he had only seen her once, it was still chilling to see that same vibrant girl now reduced to a whimpering shadow of her former self. 

Dark circled laced beneath her eyes, her lips chapped and her face gaunt she was skin and bones. Her skin, once tanned was now pale as if she had not seen sunlight for months. The thought jarred him and he gripped the phone anxiously in his pocket. 

“We…” he cleared his throat glancing at Voss who gave him a nod. “We need you to come with us!”

Then her eyes flew wide and she screamed stepping back, her hands cut and arms bruised. “No,” she shook her head. “I can’t go back there, I was good. I did what you asked, I was a good girl!”

“Wait!” Voss said, startled and his loud voice made her shriek louder. “Please, we’re not here to hurt you we–“

She swatted her hand at his face, her nails swiping at his skin and she shuddered in apology. Suddenly cowering in fear, “I am sorry,” she murmured. “I didn’t mean to hit you–“

“Do you know your name?” Voss asked, wincing in pain as blood began to speckle his cheek. He touched the side of his face, looking at her warily when she didn’t answer. “I said. Do you know who you are?”

She narrowed her eyes, “Of course I do…” she trailed off, pacing once more, as if oblivious to the officers. “Five boys,” she shook her head as if correcting herself, “six. No.” She looked at them blankly, blinking. “Do you know who I am?”

“I–“ Matthew began but Voss held up a hand. 

“We can help you,” he said as softly as possible, “come with us.”