Chapter 12 - Dripping wet with practised sincerity

‘Just a Man’ – The Classic Crime

Dripping wet with practised sincerity

Jacob Manning stepped out of the elevator with bluetooth piece in his ear, he was hissing down the phone and a few of the female nurses gawked at him. He glanced at the two, tiny blondes and flashed a cunning smile though he wondered if they were gawking at his attitude or his biceps. Jacob was attractive, his skin was as smooth as velvet and as dark as chocolate. The colour of his skin paired with his pearly whites and inky blue eyes rendered women incoherent in his presence, he knew it too. Jacob ran a hand through his short hair, he wore a black suit with a emerald green shirt and bow tie to match. Jacob was always dressed to the nines, stepping out of the elevator his footsteps echoed loudly on the reflective linoleum of the hospital floor. 

“I know,” he growled, one finger on the ear piece as he passed the nurses station to ward twenty three north. “I didn’t give anyone permission to let her go…” he growled as the person on the other end cut him off with a hiss. 

He winked at the psychologist leaving Dakota Fox’s room, though the note on the door said ‘Daisy’ he knew the truth, nothing passed Jacob’s knowledge. He was like a snake, slithering into everyone’s lives and as if a hurricane erupted he would destroy everything that stood in the way of his team and success. Normally Jacob never slipped up, normally he wouldn’t be involved in such archaic activities but this was personal. Tyson, Daisy’s dealer and ex boyfriend was Jacob’s brother. He owed Tyson, so he stepped in and coordinated the snatch. It almost hitched when Dakota walked into the hospital with Zayn and locked eyes with Jacob. 

Jacob was standing with the other reps and chastising some of the staff who asked to take a photo with Niall and Louis. The staff members were fired, Dakota saw Jacob and he was forced to push the snatch to almost moments after Flynn was born. 

Jacob was in over his head, he was one of the most feared and renowned Publicits and Managers in the business. Jennifer Barron was just ahead of him, where she used empty threats and kindness Jacob used sheer force and his threats were far from empty. Jacob had handled almost all of One Direction’s messes in the past six months, he had begun to shove them back into the media in full force. Within weeks the whole world were talking about the five boys who went to hell, came back and are now on the cover of every tabloid internationally. 

The new album was about to drop, though it was difficult to get Niall and keep him in the studio. The boys had several media appearances lined up for the next few weeks, Jacob was forced to overload them because Louis and Harry had to get married. 

He didn’t blame them, they had been to hell and stayed there for a while. Cleaning up Harry’s mess, his drug fuelled nights and the complete travesty of his stint in rehab tarnished One Direction…badly. Jacob spent many nights high on cocaine and other stimulants as he helped plug the boys, hire more publicists and even more security. 

The biggest issue Jacob faced in the present moment was Dakota Fox and the baby. Paparazzi were well equipped with lenses that could shoot or catch almost anything imaginable. Not only were the Paparazzi hot on One Direction’s tail, Jacob also had a leak within his staff and he couldn’t figure out who it was. Most of the media knew if any management hired Jacob Manning and his team of piraña’s then the people being represented had big secrets to hide. 

That baby was the least of his concerns when he woke up in the middle of the night to a call that Dakota was out of Tyson’s grip. He snarled as he called his brother to find out that one of his ‘buddies’ fell asleep on the job and was subsequently stabbed to death. 

By Dakota…with a blunt knife. Shit.

Now Jacob was racing into the hospital to see if she really was beyond traumatised, if she didn’t remember him or what happened then he could relax. Only if. His biggest worry was that she would get her memory back, Jacob tried to give Niall woman after woman but Niall turned his nose up at them all. Fucking love, it ruins everything.