Chapter 32 - And your eyes can make me swim

Constant Craving – (Cover) J2 Featuring Lesley Roy

I’m Into You – Chet Faker

Fire in the Water - Fiest

And your eyes can make me swim

A tentative gasp swept across the rooftop as silence settled amidst the crowd, Louis squeezed Jennifer’s hand tightly and she smirked beneath her veil. She could hardly breathe, partly from nerves but also from the tightness of the bodice around her chest. The dress, her dress was designed just for her and Harry helped her at every single fitting. Harry was the only one who’d seen the dress until Louis lay eyes on her. His big baby blues immediately welled up as he kissed her veiled cheek. 

Jennifer clutched the large bouquet of pink and white roses tightly, her hands were clammy and her breathing jagged with trepidation. Tonight was her night, the night she surprised Liam with the wedding they both wanted. Liam had been through so much, lost his best friend and been reconciled not only with Jennifer but with a son. So much had happened and so much had changed, the one thing that came from all of their grief and trials was the confirmation that she loved Liam beyond belief. 

She looked at him, he stood with Niall and Harry laughing and swearing as he desperately tried to rip off the silken blindfold covering his eyes. Jennifer smiled through her nervous tears. Liam looked more beautiful than she could imagine, his hair combed down to one side, slicked close against his head and his cheeks covered in deep brown stubble. She clutched Louis hand tighter, not saying anything because she was speechless. 

Now that the sun was set, the rooftop was illuminated in thousands of sparkling lights that twinkled against the skyline. Buildings surrounded them, lighting up with their own lights and for a moment Jennifer swore she was standing in the milky way. 

Her eyes reverted to Liam, shiny black shoes and skin tight pants, just how she liked it. His blazer was tightly fitted around his slender body and his thin black tie getting straightened by a very nervous Harry. 

“This is it,” she whispered to Louis. 

The crowd of people, of her friends and co-workers surrounded them and all beamed at Jennifer. 

“How do you feel?” Louis asked, he stroked her arm tenderly with a look of pure pride on his flushed cheeks. 

Jennifer bit her bottom lip, “Terrified, excited, emotional.”

Louis swiped at his own eyes, “Damn. It hasn’t even started yet and I’m a mess.”

She laughed, “Don’t Louis, if you start–“ her eyes welled up. 

Niall was beside them, “Don’t cry Jen you’ll ruin your makeup.”

She blinked back tears and looked at Niall, his face with a momentary flicker of his former, happier self. He beamed at her, eyes still tired and ringed with dark circles. He pulled a handkerchief from his breast pocket and lifted her veil so gently as he dabbed at her eyes. 

“Beautiful,” he whispered and twirled her around. 

“Niall,” she sucked in a deep breath feeling a wave of emotion roll over her. 

He didn’t meet her eyes, he fumbled with the Swarovski crystals that shimmered around her left wrist. “You don’t need to say anything,” he replied.

Louis squeezed her hand once more, patted Niall’s shoulder and said; “I’ll see you up there.” With a wink Louis walked up the aisle, directing people to sit and stand before he settled next to Liam.