Chapter 59

Lydia left a few hours ago and I just received a text of Nash: 'I got a surprise for you. If it's okay, I'll pick you up at about 8 o'clock tonight.' How should I answer? I actually asked him to give me some time to think. 'I'm not sure.', I replied. He immediately texted back: 'I know you want some time to think, but I really want to take you somewhere this evening. It doesn't have to be a date. It's like a little I'm-sorry-surprise.' I read it several times. The sentence 'It doesn't have to be a date' made me feel more comfortable about this whole thing. 'Okay. I'll be ready.', I answered. I checked the time - 5pm.

A few hours later the doorbell rang. I took a last peek of myself in the mirror and quickly opened the door. Nash stood there with a red rose in his hands. "I know it's not a date, but here...", he handed me the rose. I smiled lightly and went back in the house, to put the rose in a vase. After I filled the vase with water, I walked back to Nash, who waited patiently. I locked the house door behind me and stowed the key in my small purse. Nash smiled as he opened the car door for me. I thanked him and got inside.

"What do you have planned for this evening?", I asked as he started the engine. "I won't tell you yet. It's a surprise, remember?", he said and grinned. I twisted my eyes and chuckled.