1.18.5 Surprise Kill

Maddie giggles as she and Geordie try to smuggle the present they bought for Luke into the lounge where he's waiting. The box is too big to fit behind her comfortably so they both sidle in, trying to disguse it until...

"Ta Daaah!" they chorus together, Geordie raising her wine glass in a toast as Maddie produces a large pale wooden box with brass hinges and lock.

Luke sits up astonished, "For me?!"

"Yes for you, who else?!" Geordie kisses him on the forehead and then moves away so Maddie can give him a kiss too. "Well, go on then! Open it!"

Luke takes a large gulp of wine and then balances the box on his knee. He runs his hands over the lid before unclipping the locks and pushing it open. He looks down in wonder.

"It's for getting into the Art and Design programme!" Geordie tells him, watching his face as he runs his hand over the brushes and oils contained within.

"It's what all the great artists use. Geordie knows these things!" Maddie says, turning to grin at her partner.

"He's so surprised he's speechless," Maddie whispers to Geordie in delight as Luke's fingers feel the bristles of the brushes lying at the top of the box, there's everything he needs in there to get him started and then some.

"I know you want to get into computer graphics and animation but first you're going to have to study all the traditional techniques; still life, life class, composition, because no matter what you eventually do it's important to have solid classical training," Geordie tells him, kneeling up at the side of Luke in her enthusiasm.

"Even Picasso knew how to draw people with their eyes in the right place!" Maddie adds.

With regret Luke feels the sable and squirrel hair one last time before packing the brushes away and closing the box. With a sigh he turns to them both, "Thank you guys it's really nice of you. But I've decided to go to ANU."

As Luke gets up, moving away to avoid answering their inevitable questions, the girls look at each other, both as obviously confused as the other.

~~~

Stephen stares into space, an open book on his knee as he looks into the flames of the log fire, it's one of those chilly Spring nights that still warrants a fire. His mind has been distracted ever since the baths and he can't concentrate with the looming knowledge of what Michael knows. 

"Enjoying your book?!" Calum asks, creeping up behind him quickly and startling him.

"Yeah, it's a real page turner," Stephen says, accepting a cup of tea that Calum's brought with him.

"Then how come you're on the same page you were on an hour ago?"

Stephen looks at Calum in surprise as he walks to the front of the sofa and plonks himself down with one leg over Stephen's lap, "I, uh, guess you caught me?"

"Yeah, well, you're easy to catch, particularly when you have a lot of tell tale signs. Like a lot of 'uh's' when you talk, to give you time to think of what to say next and covering your mouth..." Calum indicates Stephen hand which is, in fact, covering his mouth right at this moment.

"You're observant," observes Stephen. "Calum I should have told you the truth..."

Calum laughs, "It's no big deal, you'll finish your book!"

"No. About last night."

"Well honey, when you said you could cum a fourth time I knew you were lying!" Calum tells him with a smirk and a twinkle in his eye.