11. The Spirit World?

That night, Rai tossed and turned on her sleep. Ever since Kalin was taken away, she just hasn't been able to sleep normally again. However, this time, it was different, very different, as she would soon find out...

"Rai... Rai..." A gentle, yet unfamiliar voice cooed softly. "Rai, can you hear me?" The voice asked.

"N-nugh...!" Rai flinched. "Wh...who...?" She mumbled in her sleep.

"Ah, I see I have finally gotten through to you." The voice then said.

When Rai opened her eyes, she gasped, bolting upright when she found herself in what seemed to be some kind of forest. "Wh-what the...? Where...am I?"

"This is the Spirit World, a place where all duel monsters reside. Now, this may seem like a dream to you, but I assure you, it is real."

"What are you saying? Just what do you want with me?"

"I am asking for your help, Rai."

"Help, but...why me?"

"Because, Rai, you have a heart of pure light, connecting you to the Spirit World. However, this was once a place where duel monsters could live in peace. Now, an evil presence is making its way ever closer to this world, wishing to corrupt and destroy it."

"Corrupt? Destroy?" Rai questioned, none of this making any sort of sense to her.

"This evil presence seeks to destroy the Spirit World, but also has dark intent to do the same with the human world as well."

"What...?!" She gasped.

"If the Spirit World is taken, then the human world will surely follow. However, there is a girl in the human world, and the only other person who can save this land. She too is conneted to the Spirit World, and her pure heart can drive back the evil that threatens this once peaceful place. She is still young though, and does not yet have the courage she needs to face this evil alone."

"Then...what do you want me to do?"

"Please, you must find and aid her however you can, and together, you both can protect this world from the evil that wishes to destroy it... Please, Rai, you must protect the Spirit World, otherwise the human world will also fall to darkness."

"Ugh!" Rai gasped, quickly pushing herself to sit up and she began to pant heavily. "What in the...? What...just happened? What was that all about?"

The teen scanned around her, realizing that she was back in her old, rundown little room in the Satellite. Rai merely sighed, tossing the thin sheets from her body as she climbed out of her rickety bed. She slipped her boots on, followed by her new vest, since wearing her old duel gang outfit just didn't seem right. After glancing down at the scar on her left palm, she sighed again, slipping her long, fingerless gloves on to cover up the mark before tightening the belts on top. Once dressed, Rai dug around in the drawer of the desk and pulled out the cracked mirror, gazing at her reflection. She could easily see the puffiness under her eyes, followed the redness and obvious fatigue. Rai let out a low scoff, tossing the mirror back in the drawer as she pushed it closed.

Damn it... I've been crying in my sleep again, and it's been several months since that day with Kalin... Why am I still so bothered by this? She wondered. I wonder if the guys are just as messed up by this as I am, especially Yusei... Rai paused for a moment. Maybe I should go check on them, just to be safe. At the very least, it will put my mind at ease, if only for a little while...