29. Luck of the Draw

It didn't used to be like this... Actually, when I was just a little girl, I was always alone, my only solace being the duel spirits that would frequent me, but I tried not to talk to them all that often. As it stood, people around the Satellite Sector feared me because of my uncontrollable powers, so talking to someone who wasn't even there, in their eyes, wasn't normal. For years, I was alone, until I was maybe six or seven years old. That's when I met him...

-Thirteen Years Ago-

A little girl was sat on the ground on her knees, her hands balled into fists and tucked up to her eyes as she sobbed. She just sat there, crying and all alone... She had no one to comfort her, no one to care for her. She was all on her own...

"Um, excuse me?" A young boy's voice suddenly called.

The girl stopped crying for a moment, lowering her hands from her eyes just enough so that she could lift her gaze and see who was calling out to her. There, the girl with semi-long crimson red hair trimmed with a deep black lifted her glistening emerald eyes to meet that of a deep sapphire blue. This boy was around the girl's age with his black, spiky and unkempt hair that was trimmed with vibrant golden streaks. He seemed to have a very curious expression on his face, of which, the girl quickly averted her eyes, sniffling.

"Hey, what's wrong?" The boy asked.

The girl sniffled again, hiccupping softly. "S-some mean boys, th-they...they c-called me a f-freak, a-and...threw rocks at m-me..." She hiccupped.

"What? Why would those bullies do that?!" The boy questioned angrily.

"B-because...I'm d-different." The girl replied, brushing the back of her hand against her cheek.

"Well, everyone is different, you know." The boy reasoned.

The girl shook her head. "N-no, I mean, um..." The girl fumbled over her words. "P-please don't run away i-if I tell you, o-okay?"

The boy nodded. "I won't."

The girl sniffled once again. "I-I can t-talk to...spirits."

"Spirits? You mean, like, ghosts?"

The girl shook her head again. "N-no... I mean, um...l-like, the spirits of c-cards."

The boy paused for a moment before he finally understood what she meant. "Oh! You mean like duel monsters?"

The girl gave a wary nod. "Y-yeah... Everyone thinks I'm w-weird..."

"Why would that be weird? I think that's really cool actually!" The boy smiled.