18. Revenge Is a Harsh Mistress

"I'm just going to assume that judging by your expression, you were confronted by a Dark Signer as well?" Came a voice.

Yusei paused, lifting his gaze to see Jack approaching as Rai quickly caught back up to him. However, Yusei frowned, glancing away as he clenched his fist. "Yeah, but..."

"A Dark Signer confronted me as well." Came Akiza's voice as she joined the group. "It was Misty Tredwell, the famous model, but she had been turned into a Dark Signer..." She explained. "She told me to come to the control unit at the Old Ener-D System." Akiza tensed up for a moment, gripping onto her right arm. "She told me that we had less than a week before the King of the Underworld would awaken, so it looks like we don't have a lot of time... If you don't mind, I'm gonna take a look around and get my thoughts together before I head over there..." And with that, she turned and left.

"So we only have less than a week, is that it? I suppose it really all depends on how long this takes us..." Jack said.

"That's what we were told as well." Rai spoke up. "It wasn't specified just how many days we'll have, but I can only assume it's only a few at most..."

"In that case, we had better get a move on." Jack said as he turned to leave.

"Jack..." Yusei called, gripping onto his wrist.

"Hm?" Jack glanced at Yusei, but he could very clearly see that he was unsettled by something. "What...exactly happened back there, Yusei?"

"The Dark Signer, it..." Yusei tensed up again. "It was Kalin..."

"What?!" Jack exclaimed, whipping around to fully face Yusei. "You mean Kalin is still alive!?"

"Honestly, I wouldn't really call it that, since I'm guessing he died and was brought back, but as a Dark Signer." Rai replied. "But, even so..."

"He still hates me for what happened back then..." Yusei said.

"But that wasn't even your fault!" Jack reasoned. "Kalin was caught and taken away because of his own actions, not yours!"

"You and I both know that, Jack, but...there's just no reasoning with Kalin, not like this." Yusei said sternly. "All we can do now is stop him so that he can finally see the truth for himself before it's too late..."

Jack sighed heavily. "Yeah, I guess you're right... Just...don't let that guilt stop you from dealing with the real issue here."

"Yeah, I know..." Yusei replied, though begrudgingly.

"Anyhow, I'm gonna head back to New Domino to go fetch my runner, so I'll meet you guys at the Old Ener-D Reactor." Jack said as he turned to leave again.

"Hey, um, Jack?" Rai called. "You said a Dark Signer confronted you too, right? Did you know who it was?"

Suddenly, Jack visibly tensed up, clutching his fist as he grit his jaw. "It...was someone I didn't know." He replied. "It was a real punk, I'll tell ya that, so I've gotta go put 'em in their place." And with that, Jack quickly walked off.

Meanwhile, Yusei raised an eyebrow. "That was...kinda strange."

"That's because he was lying." Rai cut in.

"What? What makes you so sure, Rai?" Yusei asked.

"We've both known Jack long enough to tell when he's lying, Yusei." She replied. "The way he tensed up so suddenly, plus that slight hesitation in his voice when he said he didn't know them. Jack must've known that person before they were turned into a Dark Signer, otherwise he wouldn't have acted so strangely like he did."

"Yeah, I guess you're right, but why hide it?" Yusei questioned.

"Honestly, I couldn't tell you Jack's motive for not saying, but we can't focus on that right now. We have more important things to worry about." Rai reasoned.