16. The Truth of It All

A set of large doors opened as multiple people came flooding into the massive office just as a man with long, silver hair pulled into a half ponytail turned to see the lot entering. "Welcome, Signers." He greeted. "Some of you know me, but for those who don't, I am Director Rex Goodwin." The man claiming to go by the name of Goodwin let his eyes glaze over everyone, only to narrow when he saw two people who didn't seem to be welcome. "I don't remembering inviting you, boy."

Luna frowned, gripping onto Leo's arm. "You asked me to come here basically against my will and forced me to duel in your dumb tournament, so I'm not doing this without my brother."

Goodwin merely sighed. "Fine, suit yourself. Now, as for that one over there, I don't believe I recognize her."

Rai tensed up a bit when Goodwin began eyeing her, until she felt one hand wrap around her waist while another was placed on her shoulder. She quickly glanced over, only to see Yusei with his arm around her and Jack with his hand on her shoulder, both with narrow eyes. "She stays." The two said in unison.

"She's my firend." Said Jack.

"And my girl." Yusei added.

"So she stays." Both said again.

Rai grinned softly. "Guys..."

Again, Goodwin sighed. "Very well, but at the very least, can I get some information about you?"

"Oh, um, sure. I'm Rai Yushima, and, maybe you might find this useful but, like Luna over here, I too can connect to the Spirit World. Also, last night, I dueled against some kind of shadow drone, and all the damage from the duel became real. He mentioned something about "Dark Signers," if that means anything to you." She explained.

Goodwin perked up a bit. "Hm, interesting... Well then, perhaps you are connected in all this." He said. "Well, we can discuss more on that later. For now, let us get this meeting underway."

"Good, because we've got questions that need answering." Said Yusei.

"Well, in order for all of you to understand, I'm going to have to show you something. So please, all of you, follow me." Goodwin stepped out from behind his desk and head for the door.

Everyone all shared a glance of suspicion, but merely agreed to follow the man anyway. They were all led to an elevator, where Goodwin pressed his hand to a hand scanner before leaning towards what appeared to be a peep hole. In reality though, it scanned one of his eyes, granting him access to the elevator. "Please, step inside all of you." He gestured.

Again, another glance of skepticism, but they all shuffled into the large elevator with Goodwin entering last. Once the doors closed, there was a moment of silence before they all felt the elevator moving downwards. Everyone all seemed to be a little on edge since no one trusted this Goodwin guy, but for whatever reason, Rai felt uneasy the most as she unconsciously clung to Yusei's arm. He obviously noticed Rai's uneasiness and lifted his hand, placing it against her shoulder.

"Hey, is something wrong?" Yusei asked, a bit of concern in his voice.

"Just...uneasy, that's all." She replied. "I don't know how to explain it, but...I've just got this weird knot in the pit of my stomach. I just...feel very anxious."

"Don't worry, I'm uneasy too, but it'll be alright. At the very least, we'll get some kind of answers to this crazy situation."

"Yeah, but still... Something dark approaches, and it's got me on edge."

"I know, but just try to calm down, okay? I'm gonna be right by your side the whole time, so just relax."

Rai gave a small nod in response. "Alright, I'll try..."