05. Mind Break

-A Few Days Later-

Rai awoke that morning as she usually did, and ever since the duel, she seemed to be fine. When she woke up the next day though, she did go to see Akiza, who apologized profusely, but Rai merely waved it off, saying that it was alright and it was just an accident. Akiza just accepted that Rai was fine with what had happened and everything seemed to alright between the two afterwards. Sayer had also asked for Seria to run some tests on Rai as well, but again, everything seemed to turn up normal, especially since Rai never mentioned anything about the memories that have been coming back to her in fear of what they might do. However, after a few more days of her usual training sessions, she was informed of a new type of training she would be doing as she was talking with Liquid and Okita.

"Duel Runner training?" Rai questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Yup. Okita and I are in the same boat since Sayer wants us to do it too."

"Okay, but why? I mean, it's not like we'll ever be asked to duel anyone on Duel Runners." Rai tried to reason.

"Yes, perhaps, but he has informed us that it is just in case something happens, so Sayer has asked that all of us learn to use a Duel Runner." Okita explained.

"Also, if we do really good in this training, we might even be awarded with our very own Duel Runner!" Liquid said excitedly. "Man, I can't wait, so I'm gonna go on ahead! See ya guys there!" He then took off, leaving the other two in a bit of confusion.

"O...kay. Uh, where is this training even being held anyway?" Rai then asked.

"Oh, it's on the west side of New Domino, right by the highway." Okita replied. "I will be there in due time, so you go on ahead without me, Rai."

"Um, sure, okay. See ya then." Rai then turned and made her leave.

After making her leave, Rai began mumble to herself as she walked. "Duel Runner training, huh? I mean, sure, but why? I really don't see a point in it. Plus, there's a lot to take into consideration, like the startup, drag, wind resistance, lag time, aerodynamics, and a ton of other stuff too, like what parts are being used and the model of each one. I mean, using a holo frame would give you greater speed, but less defense if you took a hit or bumped into a wall, and not to mention boosters, the engine, and the CPU. There are just so many factors that go into a Duel Runn--" Rai suddenly paused, frowning. "Wait... Why do I even know anything about that? As far as I'm concerned, my first memory is waking up in that lab inside of Arcadia, so...why do I know any of this?"

Rai just shook her head. I shouldn't trouble myself with it... Besides, it's not like it will matter anyway since all I'm doing is riding one. She tried to convince herself and she continued heading for the training area.

When Rai finally reached the Duel Runner training ground, there was a man standing in front of the gate. "Uh, hi there. I'm here for the Duel Runner training." She waved.

"Yo! You're Rai, right? The name's Kawasaki and I'm in charge of the Duel Runner training." The man known as Kawasaki glanced back for a moment. "Oh! Looks like you're up next, the last trainee seems to have just finished his run on the track."

Moments later, the gates behind him opened as Liquid was returning from having a go on the race track, though he seemed a bit winded. "Oh, hey, Rai. That was my first time riding, but it's harder than it looks! You've gotta watch out for those obstacles or they'll really slow ya down."

"Alright, guess you're up next, Rai! Give it a go and show us whatcha got!" Said Kawasaki.

"Alright, I'm ready."