Twenty-Seven

Monday had finally rolled by and Ethan was feeling different kinds of emotions. He was happy, for one. There was a comfortable feeling in the atmosphere, almost like satisfaction, Ethan wasn't sure. All he knew was that he was happy, more than he had ever been in his life and couldn't wait to go on his date with Mitchell.

Throughout the day, he had been sneakily glancing at Mitchell who was as oblivious as ever. He held his hand as they walked to their classes, he draped his arm on Mitchell's shoulder when there was a crowd to shield him and he even wanted to kiss him but he wasn't sure if Mitchell would like that.

The two boys wouldn't admit it but they were both nervous as hell. There was no way their anxiousness could be compared because Mitchell was feeling quite shy about going out in public. It was something he hadn't done before, going out on a date and so having to do that made him anxious but he knew that with Ethan there with him, all will be well.

Ethan on the other hand was biting his nails and dreading the day. Stealing glances at Mitchell all day while they were in class wasn't helping because seeing how happy the blue eyed boy was, he didn't want to do anything that could ruin him. He hadn't even been on a proper date before so how was he sure that he was doing the right thing?

Not even the glares and disgusting looks from Meghan, Liz and the cheer leading squad could distract him. He knew that the whole school knew he was gay now, probably, and that Mitchell was his boyfriend. After what Dave had told him about everything checking his every move, he wasn't surprised to hear his name and Mitchell's everywhere they went.

What bothered him was that people were referring to his beloved as the sad freak who couldn't talk. It made him so angry but he knew he couldn't just walk up to them and punch them for saying such nasty words. At least, Mitchell didn't have to hear them because Ethan thought the boy didn't deserve that, not after what he had been through.

And what made him dread the day even more was that he was taking Mitchell out to the movies where there would be people, from their school and town. They were going to be out in public, and not in the safe confinement of Mitchell's house where they would be away from prying eyes. It didn't matter that it was a Monday and that there would be less people there. The townspeople talked, everyone knew that and if one person saw them together, the news would spread like wild fire.

He didn't want other people to be calling Mitchell a freak or a faggot. And even though his mind was plagued with all of that, Ethan still wanted the night to be the best for Mitchell.

Which was why he had thrown out all his clothes looking for something to wear. Initially, he picked up a dress shirt and a tie with dress pants to match but decided against it as it looked too formal. He then picked up a black skinny jeans, a white T-shirt and a maroon jacket, his usual attire but also decided against that. Ethan was frustrated with himself and Shane wasn't helping.

"Would you stop laughing and help me pick something to wear?" he questioned angrily, throwing his jacket at Shane. Being frustrated for not finding the perfect outfit, Ethan had called Shane to help him out.

"Careful," he whined and he brushed his hair. "I don't know why you called me here tbh."

"No one says TBH."

"I do," Shane said, rolling his eyes. "I have no idea what you wear on a date."

"You're the one with the boyfriend!" Ethan exclaimed.

"First of all, he's not my boyfriend and secondly, and secondly," he says to emphasize his next statement. "I'm sure Mitchy would love whatever you wear."

"You don't know that. I just want to make an effort you know?" he groaned. Ethan was having a hard time. He didn't want to just wear anything and make Mitchell feel like he wasn't invested in the relationship. "I wish Tris was here."