Chapter 12 : Quilfren Family Day

I couldn't wait for the After Party. It was only meant for adults, but this year, Mayor Rodfon had a change of heart.

It was a yearly occasion after Quilfren Family Day, which was a time when families came together, laughed together and had fun together—at least that's what they wanted you to think.

Quilfren Family Day was just another way the neighbours could find out whether a family was happy or in distress and what the latest real gossip was.

I never really took much into account on Quilfren Family Day, but this year, today, was going to be different. This year I had Caivanial. With him, I'd be distracted to observe the alternative motive of the others.

"Come on let's go!" mom suddenly says, yanking me away from the car. She's the most competitive out of dad and I.

The park is filled with many people, some I knew and others not so well. I never really bothered to get to know every single one around town, because it never really was important to me.

"Where are we going?" I ask her.

"The first game." she says under the bright glorifying sun.

"Which is?" I dread.

"Couple Sack Race" "Shouldn't you and dad go then?"

"Don't worry. Caivanial and him are partnering."

Caivanial? Did she just say Caivanial? I start to pan around the area. Its filled with colourful pastel balloons, whimpering children, fluffy cotton candy and Sal's bright red steamy chili. There are canopies pitches around, each advertising a small game or a shop selling something new—it's almost like a carnival without the rides.

I continue to prop my head in and out searching for him and there he is...right next to my dad across the red-white canopy background. The running of small children and blasts of water guns doesn't get in his way. He continues to move swiftly to my direction.

Just at the right time, mom let's go of my hand to go register us. "Hey beautiful." he smiles devilishly.

"Hey. When did you get here?" I ask before holding his hand.

"About seven-ish" "In the morning?!" I stammer.

That was way too early. Only founding families were to come and set up the event, he couldn't have been a founding family member, could he? "I thought I'd just come and help out."

"Is your dad opening up a booth?" "No...he's not around."

"Hmmm...it's very weird how I haven't seen your dad yet." "Yeah. Father works in a different zone."

"Ok..." I say trying to understand him, "...So I heard you're partnering up with my dad? In a sack race?" we both start laughing, knowing how embarrassing it actually is.

"You don't have to cosy up to my dad K..." "Yeah, but that's what we do." "We?" I ask. "Yeah. The Association of the Gentlemen's Club." "Wow..." I joke as my heart melts along.

"If we weren't here right now, I'd kiss you." "And I'd kiss you no matter where we were." he says, pulling me in quickly. The words are so intoxicating—like a snake's venom had just slithered into my veins, drunken-ing my entire body. He kisses my forehead; flushing my entire face red all over again. The feeling is parallel to the time we shared at Lake Telluha last month.

"Mi amor. You need to change!" mom shouts as she runs back to me. "Why?" "Because you can jump better with shorts. Now go change." "You packed shorts?" "YES! Go change! It's starting in another fifteen minutes!" "Ok mom..." I dread.