Chapter 31 : War

The sky is blue and the time is about ten minutes to eight.

I had work to go to and an apology to convey.

I pick up my bag and walk out the door with the door closed behind me. I can feel a strong breeze penetrating in the house, making me feel cold in the autumn weather. Orange leaves have already flown through the open front door, leaving me in question.

Who was at the door? I walk all the way down and catch my mom in the kitchen. "You want pancakes or eggs?" she asks me. "Eggs please." I tell her before I set my bag down to ask, "Is dad talking to someone outside?" I ask when I notice he isn't sitting in his usual spot, reading the newspaper with his glasses at the tip of his nose.

"Right. Abby is outside. She wanted to talk to you." mom says and my heart jumps a bit. I didn't like the idea of monsters hanging around my parents—Abby was one of them.

"I'll go see her." I tell my mom but she suddenly stops me.

"Mi amor, can you just help me set this down first?" she says as she hands me a plateful of pancakes drenched in syrup. I can't say no and go to help her, but by then she has spilled the carton of milk on the floor.

"Ay Dios Mio! I'm sorry mi amor." she says.

"It's okay. I'll get it." I say and grab the paper towel then to wipe off the milk.

A huge clump of milk-soaked paper towels mounts higher as I finish off the remainder of the milk on the floor.

By the time I throw away the paper towels, I can hear the door close.

"That's that." dad says behind. I stand up from the crouching position and ask him, "Abby left?" as I threw the final paper towel.

"Yeah. She left for Shefeldin. I didn't know you were down here. Did you want to speak to her honey?" he asks me.

"Yes." I tell him. I wanted to talk to her about everything but she left.

I know it wasn't my dad's fault, he didn't know I was here. I could've at least went to ask her to wait for me after I finished cleaning up.

"It's okay. I could just text her later." I say and sit down at the table.

"I'm sorry mi amor. I could've cleaned it up..." mom tries to apologise, "It's okay. It's not like it's going to be the last time I'll ever see her." "You're right. By the way, did you visit Shefeldin yesterday?" dad asks. "Yeah. Where else did Caivanial take you yesterday?" mom asks and I don't know what to tell them.

That I had a fight with Caivanial?

Went to Mundurum with Damien?

And got kidnapped to a brothel with a Leanan Sidhe named Kamila?

Then find out the Agastya's are Booksman protecting a sacred hall of books?

How would they believe me?

There was even in the question I was dying to ask them, about our family, but when was the best time to ask them?

"We didn't go to any universities." I decide to tell them the truth.

"Then where did you go?" dad asks with a tensed furrow on his eyebrow.

"The mall." I decide to lie. "For the whole day?!" mom asks and her eyes tense as well. "Sort of. We just loitered around I guess."

"Why didn't you go to see Shefeldin at least mi amor?" mom asks with an aggressive tone. "I'm sorry..." I try to say but dad adds in.

"You wasted a whole day loitering around? That isn't like you Alexandra. Was it your idea or his?" he asks with fumes flaming in his eyes.