Chapter 37 : The Mind

There is no more subtly left in me to sneak into her room quietly.

I climb in and shut the window down hard, hoping it'll make her sit up. I'd expect to find her in her pyjamas, all tucked in tightly underneath her blanket, but she isn't.

Instead, she's sitting on the sofa with her head panned to the window and her arms crossed. "Took you long enough." she tells me with an attitude.

"Next time, we meet in my room." I tell her with a smile as I take a seat on her bed. "We need to talk K." she tells me. "Yeah. First on the list; buy me a new car."

"I'm serious. You keep too many secrets away from me! Why can't you just tell me stuff? I'm not like some kind of dog where you can play with whenever you want to and keep back in the cage..."

"Really you're not? Cause' I thought you were a bitch after what happened tonight?" I tell her with disgust. She's completely offended and I'm glad she is.

"Maybe if you were around..." "No. That is not the issue! He could've still saved you. But you! You were the one who decided to let him touch you and I'm appalled by your sickening action!" I argue back.

"You're appalled? Then I'm a hundred times more appalled than you! You've been keeping secrets away from me Caivanial! And trying to hurt my best friend if she spoke your dirty secret? I should hate you!"

"Hate me for all I care Alex, but the secrets I keep from you are to protect you!"

"Then what's the point! What is the point of you telling me that you'd never hide anything away from me? That you'd be straight-forward with everything? To protect me? What in freaking Hell is going on K?!" her temper is sky-rocketing as was mine.

"You're not going to know..."

"Why not? Am I going to die if I know about it?" she asks me.

"No!"

"Then just tell me..."

"No!"

"Then leave me alone and never see me again!" she shouts at me.

"You know I can't do that..."

"You will. Because you promised me. You promised you'd never lie or keep a secret away from me, otherwise you told me you'd leave me."

Damnit!

Why did I always have to make these shitty promises! It never works in my favour.

"Alex, you're not going to know and that is that..."

"Caivanial, you're going to leave and that is that." she repeats after me.

She stands up straight and points her hand towards the window. "I never want to see you again!" she tells me with ire riveting down her throat. She's dead serious about it and I know if I leave, I'll have to start all over again and the fear of that drowns me in mercy.

"Fine! I'll tell you! Don't make me go!" I implore her as I stand, "I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to freak out or get overly emotional." I warn her.

"Just tell me." she repeats and I take in a huge sum of breath before I release my voice, "My father has a plan to capture your soul and keep you prisoner in his Cabinet..."

"...He's ordered every monster out there to try and capture you but so far, none of them have the guts to do so because they know I will kill them."

"No stop! You're father wants to capture me?! For what?!"

"Because he can't kill you. If he kills you, he ends my immortality."

"The Mark. It's because of this stupid Mark..." she remembers it in flames.