Chapter 47 : Amends

The day had passed by quick. I did the laundry, I cleared out the trash, I read an entire book, I mopped the floors, I polished the silver but no matter the workload I'd put onto myself, my hands were still shivering.

It was the 31st and time was only peeling off my spine.

"Hey, are you ready yet?" Abby asks me as she enters through the front door.

Her voice is loud and clear until it goes up higher when she sees me in my sweat pants. "What are you doing?!" she asks me infuriatingly when I finally see her in an absolutely gorgeous dress.

The green dress is silky and sweet on her skin, matching the waves on her hair with brown highlights. Her fingernails were done and her make-up was on point with her eyeliner just perfectly running across her eyelids.

"You look amazing Abby..." I say as I stand up to have a look at her around.

"Thanks Lex, but why aren't you dressed? We've got to be there on time..."

"I know that! I'm just nervous!"

"Have you practiced today?" she asks me.

"Yeah..." I say, but before she could try to ask me, I lift the purse away from her hand. Her jewelled purse flies into my arms before she could even drop her jaw.

"That was fast..." "I know right, and I'm not even using the pendant."

"Did Damien give it back?" she asks.

"No. He took it away, but he hasn't told anything to Caivanial yet, so I think we're in the clear." "Good. Now, let's just go up and get you ready. We can't go to a ball with you in this!" she says, offended at my outfit.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm putting on my black tie with my eyes piercing back at myself on the mirror.

It was starting to get late with the sun already setting and we needed to leave before the children came out trick-or-treating.

"Happy birthday Caivanial." Damien tells me.

He's already dressed and ready, with a coat in his hand. We're almost matching with black suits, but with him not wearing a tie or a bow.

"Thank you..." I try to appreciate his gesture.

"So have you told Alexandra yet?"

"No. She'll probably only find out once we're there, but, hey, I've got to tell you something." I try to pull myself together before I face him.

"I need to say sorry."

"For?" he asks me back doubtfully.

"That I've been treating you like shit. I've given you a hard time ever since I met you and I know you still hold me accountable for the mess I created in 1773. Nobody should ever deserve that and I'm sorry that I tried to kill you..."

"Are you really meaning that? Even after what happened between Alexandra and I?" he asks me. "I am. It wasn't fair of me to break the both of you up like that before and you've got every right to talk and share moments with her like I do. I just want her to be happy."

"I want her happiness too Caivanial. Thank you." he says as he approaches me.

I'm surprised by then when he gives a firm hug with a pat on the back.

"You're a good man Caivanial Adams." he says before he lets go off me, "Now, let's give the Devil a taste of his own medicine." he says with a smile.