Chapter 35 : Reborn

It's freezing cold out here with the harsh wind blowing at us. There is going to be rain as I feel the humidity suffocating me. I open my eyes and I see his face. "Where are we?" I ask him, wondering if this was my Hell or Heaven.

"We're two blocks away from your house."

I can feel his grasp on my waist then and my body floating high—he was carrying me like a child. "What happened?" I ask him. "You tried to kill us while I rescued us."

"Your car?" I ask, but he remains silent.

"I'm sorry..." I try to say, but his angered expression keep me silent. I know I should've kept quiet but I wanted him to know, "Look. You're supposed to tell me things...and your car would've been in one piece if you just..."

"Shut up. Enough mistakes have already gone down tonight and I'm not going to hear you blabber on about something else." he says and I remain quiet again.

I hated that he thought he had this almighty control over me. That I'll just listen to everything he has to say. This stupid claim he has on me is sickening.

Maybe I should tell him.

It's not a minute later though that I can see blue-red lights shining around in the darkness. "We're here." he tells me and I realise we're home.

"Where do you think she could be?" I can hear one of the police officers say.

"She's here!" another says then.

Caivanial immediately puts me down on the ground and raises his hand up.

My dad comes running after mom before they both embrace me with hugs and shower me with kisses. "Where did you go mi amor?" mom asks with a sobbing throat.

"I was out at a friend's place. You remember Damien Wivler."

"What were you doing with him?" dad asks.

"Well he saved me...my car broke down on the old road and it was raining. My phone died then and I didn't know what to do. That's when he offered me a ride and I rode back to his house."

"Do you and Mr. Wivler have any relations we should know about?" a husky voice asks behind me. I turn around then to notice Captain William Burke with a notepad in hand.

"Not really." I lie more. "And how did Mr. Adams find you?" he asks. "I called him." I say, "I didn't want to disturb my parents." I tell them.

Caivanial doesn't listen to a word I say—he's too engrossed with Mayor Rodfon.

"Your car. You say it was on the old road. Which one?"

"The one leading South. You can't miss it. It's the first turn after the traffic light from Sal's diner." I tell them in full-form detail.

"Alright. Thank you Ms. Kain. Glad to see you well." he says with a smile before he leaves. As the other policemen leave, Mayor Rodfon comes up to us then.

"Alexandra, I'm glad you're well. Caivanial tells me you've had a plentiful night with the billionaire. If you mind, do put in a good word for me...just joking. We're all happy your back Alexandra. Mr. and Mrs. Kain. Good night." he wishes and walks away.

That was the most awkward chat I've ever heard, especially when I knew exactly what he was. And what did he mean by a 'a plentiful night' ? What did Caivanial tell him?

"Honey. Are you really alright? We thought you were mad at us after this morning...that we assumed the worst..." dad asks.

"Dad. I'm fine. Really...I had a good time there. Dam...Mr. Wivler was very informative about his business." "Really? What did he say?" mom asks.

Shit!

"I'll...tell you tomorrow. All I want to do now is sleep." I say with a smile, hoping they wouldn't question me further.

"You're right. We all deserve some sleep." dad says. "Lawrence wait! Caivanial. We forgot to thank you." "That's not necessary. Actually, it's my fault. I should've just told you where Alex was so that you could go pick her up, or something...you could've even seen Mr. Wivler's home. It's to die for." he says but I know the dirty hidden message underneath.

He is angry with me and I am at him.

"Still we'd like to say thank you." dad says. "No trouble really. I already said before, I'd do anything to keep Alex safe." he says and immediately the words 'claim' start to pop up in my head with a shiver running down my spine. His happy eyes only had an undertone to it.

"Where's your car Caivanial?" mom suddenly asks. "It's over there. The trees are blocking it. Well, I don't want to disturb furthermore. Good night." he wishes with a wave as he turns behind. He starts walking but I wonder which car he's going to steal.

We didn't have many neighbours near us.

"Come on mi amor. Let's get you inside." mom says with her hands around my shoulder and a kiss on a cheek.