Chapter 14 : Lies before secrets

The tears are rolling, my blood is racing and my skin is frozen.

Damien drives off in the same pitch black road as I figure out what just happened. That same face I saw. Orange with weird black patterns. Like the Mayor's face was made out of magma. I was not hallucinating this time, and I was not hallucinating about the fact that Caivanial was strangling him. It couldn't be a coincidence that I see the same scary face, the same time when Caivanial was around.

No, I wasn't going to accept that at all.

His face was morphed into a grotesque beast and Caivanial's eyes were fiery and red, and they became darker, almost dark red that it looked like he had no eyes. My hands are shivering at this point that I turn off the air-conditioning in the car; but the shivering doesn't stop. "Did you see it? Did you see the face?" I ask him.

"What face?" Damien asks with worry.

I know I wasn't hallucinating, I couldn't make that shit up even if I wanted to.

"I'm not crazy" I blabber. "Alexandra. What did you see?" he asks.

"His face. It was magma!" "Who's face? The Mayor's?" he asks. "YES!" I scream and the image appears again. "And Caivanial! It looked like he had no eyes. They were pitch black. Did you see that?!" I scream more. "Alexandra. Please calm down!" he says and drives faster. "You don't get it Damien! I've seen that face before! Caivanial told me I was hallucinating, but..." I trail off not knowing what to think anymore.

This was unimaginable. The tremor over excites me that I begin to cry even more. "Alexandra please don't cry. You're home. Come on." he says and exits the car door to bring me out. I couldn't move still; my skin is frozen.

"Alexandra. Please. Just come in." he says while he cautiously moves towards me to pick me up from the car; I'm not stable. He helps me unlock the door then sits me on the couch. "Alexandra. Just tell me what went on?" he asks me. "What more can I say Damien? Caivanial was beating up a...monster." I'm over-raged as my breathing controls. I sit back with my head propped up to meet the ceiling.

"But wasn't it dark in there?" Damien says and I look into that to seek comfort about Caivanial's eyes, but it wouldn't explain the bright magma face. "No something's up. And maybe I don't want to know." I tell him. He's phone buzzes then and he looks at it. His face changes and I ask what happened.

"I've got a business meeting call to attend to. Are you going to be okay?"

"No! Don't go! I need you here! Just don't go!" I say and grab onto him. I hug him tightly and try to control my tears from rolling out. "I won't be sane if you leave me here alone!" I say. "Okay. I'll stay." he says and notifies his assistant to reschedule.

My heart beats a little easier now knowing he was going to be here.

After what I saw, I need explanations, theories, something to get me past this unnatural situation. He lays on the couch next to me while I prop my head on his shoulder.

"I know I shouldn't be keeping you away from your work Damien, I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. Meetings are boring anyways."

"Was it an important one?" I ask, trying to make conversation to keep my mind off the terror. "You could say it was a meeting that could be postponed. I don't even like the guy who's going to speak, he's very cocky." "Really who is he?" "Some jerk from Wilhelmina." "The modelling agency?" "Yeah we're looking into modelling some artefacts to catch hold of people's attention. New idea from marketing."

"Wow." I say and imagined models all over the Rosetta Stone in pink bikinis and their cleavage attracting middle-aged men.

"You want me to make you something to drink?" he asks. "No. I'll do it. What do you want?" "You've got wine?" he asks and I start to smile. "Every house hold has wine." I say. "What are you drinking?" he asks me. "Tea. Something to calm my nerves down." I say as I dip the tea bag in and out of the hot water.