Chapter 45 : Her

"Hey you back home already?" he asks me.

"Yesss...and when are you getting back?" I ask him playfully.

I wanted him with me tonight. It would be our last night before the 31st—tomorrow—and I needed him badly. I'm not going to be able to stand the night alone if he isn't here with me. "Somebody seems like they're in a good mood."

"I guess I just had a really good day." I say as I sit down on the steps of the stairs.

"You're safe right?"

"Yeah. Why? Abby was with me the entire day." "Just asking. I'll be back home a little late X. Damien and I've got some last minute stuff to do."

"What time will you be back?" I ask him feeling disappointed.

"No. Go to sleep. I don't know how long it'll take." "Can't I just see you guys..." "No. It's nothing exciting, just formalities. Is Abby there with you now?"

"No..." I sound off and he immediately grabs my tone.

"Hey, you alright?"

"Yeah. Go do what you have to do." "I'll be back home as soon as possible X. Everything's fine, just trust me." "Yeah. I do." I say, trying to hide the sigh at the back of my throat. "Alright, see you then. Bye X."

"Bye K." I say and end the call.

I exhale sharply and head back upstairs to take a shower. The smell of dirt and leaves isn't a very appealing smell to me especially after Abby and I had a dirty showdown in the forest during training to keep things exciting.

I enter my room and keep the door close before I take off the pendant Mr. Wayne gave me. I look at the pendant closely, before I stash it back in one of my old winter jackets.

As I remove my clothes and throw them into the hamper, I let the warm water run down my body. I stay absolutely still in the middle of the gushing water with my eyes perfectly close. The water is smooth and gentle on my skin, while my mind unties the knots constricting my nerves.

The soap smells transducing and the shampoo purifies my hair. When I finally get out of the shower, I feel like a new person. I get into my pyjamas after I comb my hair and examine the mark on my chest. I wondered then if everything would've been peaceful if he never gave me the mark.

If I never met him, if I never ever decided to give him the second chance at the art gallery. It was so frustrating for me to reach a conclusion so eventually I go back downstairs to cook myself dinner.

Walking back downstairs, I keep my eyes glued to the kitchen counter—contemplating on what I could have for dinner. As my mind goes through an entire array of possible dinner choices, I conclude to finally boil pasta and heat up some pasta sauce.

I'm in no mood to bring out the chef in me and I'm in no mood to stay up and keep my mind busy on where Caivanial could be and what he could be doing.

I start the fire, take out the pot and pour in the water, but just before I add the pasta, a hand catches mine. The rough palms and the tight grip give me a jump.

My head pans to the uninvited guest and my mind goes off when he stands there smiling. "I thought you were following him..."

"Who?"

"Caivanial. I thought you were attending some kind of official meeting with him or something..." "Well, he lied to you." Damien says with a smile as he pushes me away from the fire. Well it was no shocker that Caivanial lied to me again.

"You're cooking pasta?"

"It's the easiest thing to do. I didn't know you were coming."

"I didn't know I was coming, but I guess I just wanted to see you..." he says with a smile. His smile makes me smile but I don't want to give out the wrong impression.