Chapter 21 : Breakups

Sitting in the peaceful environment with a brown-leather back book in my hand, I have a reminiscence of the past three months since graduation.

The three months have gone by smoothly.

There were no more messes.

I was working in the library with Mr. Agastya and Harish. I was Harish's assistant when Mr. Agastya decided to leave to Bombay for some religious event.

The library was quiet and I did find myself reading rather than helping organise during the first few days, but I managed to overcome it.

My parents were in and out of the country—a pilot's job.

Abby decided to finally go to Shefeldin and Maverick got into Harvard of course.

We were all happy for him except Abby, because it meant she could only see him through virtual voice calls. There was also no sign of Caivanial, which was good.

"Hey, so do you want to lock up? I need to help my mother..." Harish asks.

"Yeah, it's okay. I got it. Just a few more books." I say as I put a book in the shelf.

"Thanks" he says with a smile. I have rarely seen Harish smile and it's weird to think that I could even be working with him eventhough we weren't that close before.

"So when does your dad get back?" I ask. "I'm not sure. These festivals last out very long..." he says as he puts on his blue jacket.

"Will I still have a job then?" I ask him nervously.

"Definitely. We're getting in more and more books, so the extra help is really necessary. Besides, your uncle Rogers recommended you to my father, so your stuck with us I guess."

"Wait, how does your dad know my uncle?"

"Beats me. I just read his email." he shrugs.

"You read his email? Boy, were you always this rebellious before?" "Not until recently..." he says with a smirk, "...I'll see you tomorrow." he says.

"Ok, bye!" I wish him good night.

The library is now empty and I feel alone. Not a single soul wanders, which gets me a little frantic, but I can handle it. I've been alone thousands of times.

As I finally get the last book organised, I pack up my things and reach for the door but, that's when my phone starts ringing. It was Abby!

"Hey!!!" I shout into the phone with glee, but I only hear trails of sorrow.

"Abby, what happened?" I ask her, as she continues sobbing. I go back inside and lean against the wall. "Hey, what's wrong. Did someone tease you over there?" I ask with worried and confused lines on my face.

"We broke up!" she sobs. "No! What!? Why!?" I ask as the news startles me.

"He's gay Alex! Maverick's gay! He's been gay the whole time!"

My mind goes numb and my words fall blank. "What do you mean? Like homosexual?" "YESS!! He's just been hiding it this whole time."

"Wait, but how did you even find out?" I ask curiously. "I drove all the way there to his dorm room to surprise him. And I ended up finding him sleeping naked with some other guy." "Ok, so Maverick's gay..."

"You're not getting it Alex! He's been lying to me since day one! Why would he do something like that?!" "Abby, you're upset. Just calm down. Maverick was probably insecure when he was in high school. He was in the football team moreover, so he was probably under a lot of pressure."