Chapter 37

You woke to male voices arguing. "You were supposed to protect her! We trusted you with her care, even though you're not a wolf. I trusted you with Rachel!" Samuel's voice was yelling.

"I am protecting her," Loki snarled the reply.

You weren't quite awake yet, opening your eyes was hard, but your arm itched, such a silly little annoying thing. You reached over automatically to scratch it. Loki's cold hand was on your before you could. "Don't, love," he told you gently, warmly. You forced your eyes open and looked up at him. You were in the medical room with Loki on one side of your bed and Samuel on the other. You saw the IV needle in your arm and reached over again to rip the damn thing out. You didn't, couldn't, why was it there?!? It needed to be gone. "Darling," Loki's voice was pained, gentle, attempting reassurance, as he took your hand again to stop your frantic desperation to get out of here. "You have to leave it in a little longer. It's only been an hour. Samuel insists that whatever that is, it will counteract the silver poisoning, it seems to be working, but you have to be patient, little wolf," you growled. Patience was not one of your virtues.

"Annoying god," you grumbled at him, but stuck your tongue out so he'd know you were joking. He smiled and kissed your forehead. "Where's Rachel?" you asked, worried about her safety. Both men sighed and growled about Omegas. You worked to sit up and Loki helped you. You could still feel the silver in your system a dull burning ache, but at least most of the drugs seemed to have worn off. Your left hand was heavily bandaged from where you'd sliced it open to break through the compulsions.

"Lady Natasha is keeping her company in the living room," Loki told you.

"Is Nat going to survive?" you replied with a smirk. You and Rachel had taken down two Asgardians a couple of days ago.

He chuckled. "I believe so. They are playing video games and enjoying destroying teenage boys who are rude to women over chat,"

"What happened with the wolf?" you asked finally when they weren't volunteering the story.

"Your mate did not keep you safe," Samuel growled. His chair flew across the room in anger and embedded itself in the wall after being viciously thrown. Poor chair, it hadn't done anything wrong. You reached over calmly and took his hand in yours.

"It wasn't Loki's fault that someone broke into our house," you told Samuel. "I'm only still here because of Loki's protections," you added firmly. It was only Loki's shields that had kept you even remotely safe. Samuel finally seemed to relax, a result of a mix of your words and your Omega powers.

"Stark checked the security footage. The wolf snuck in through the garage and used Stark's own voice to gain access to the building, as well at the floor plans from Jarvis. Stark is fixing that security flaw immediately. The wolf headed straight to my room, bypassing where the rest of us were. We didn't even know he was in the building until you sent the alarm." Loki kissed the top of your head. "Thank you, little wolf. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you actually called for help instead of trying to take him on your own," he pressed his lips against the top of your head again, wrapping his arms around you. "I don't know what I would have done if he had gotten whatever it was he wanted with you," you tilted your head up to look at him. They didn't know what he wanted yet? Had Loki killed him already? "The others were waiting for you to wake before we begin questioning him. Don't worry, he's not going anywhere until he's been questioned," Loki added quickly with a malicious glint in his eyes. Ah, they had just been waiting on you. You deserved to know why he had been after you.

"What'd you do to him?" you asked Loki suspiciously.

"He made sure the mercenary could not escape," Samuel replied, actually sounding impressed. That didn't ease your concerns. Loki was overprotective and vicious when something he cared about was threatened. You were definitely in the realm of something he cared about.