Chapter 77

After months of work and planning, you finally made it to the night before your wedding. Your Asgardian wedding to be precise. After you got married on Asgard, you would be returning to Midgard to have a mating ceremony for the wolves.

There were a few wolves on Asgard with you as welcome guests. Wolves were cherished by the Asgardians, even by Odin. And Odin usually hated Midgardians in his realm. You'd respected that enough to only invite the four wolves you absolutely had to: your brother, Fenrir, and after much deliberation and still very reluctantly, you'd invited your mother as well.

Your mom wasn't necessarily someone you'd had to invite, but you had your reasons for it. And Lady Sif was under strict orders from Loki and Thor to remove her from the realm if she so much as upset you. Part of the reason you'd invited her was the duty you felt toward family and pack. Much as you didn't like her most of the time, she was still your mother and she had raised you. Even if she'd wanted to sell you off to an abusive asshole. Despite everything, you had to give her this one last chance to be a decent human being.

The other reason you'd wanted to invite her was much more selfish. You wanted to show her, to prove to her in terms that she could understand, how much better off you were now. How much better you were out of her control, away from the toxic pack and toxic alpha. You'd gotten your own life living on your own terms and you were thriving. You had everything she wanted and more. And she wasn't going to get to benefit from a single penny of what you had now.

You knew she wouldn't really understand, but it made you feel better, if a bit petty, to show off to her.

She had wanted you to marry Jareth, to wed the abusive asshole, just because he was going to be the next Alpha. Now you were marrying a prince who treated you like a queen, who also happened to be an alpha in his own right. You are part of Fenrir's pack and that made you a princess among the wolves.

And she got absolutely nothing out of it, no status, no power, no prestige, because she'd been such a bitch to you.

Karma worked wonders.

But that night? That night you were drinking with your friends and family. Well, drinking with Dan. Ethan was a child by Asgardian standards as well as Midgardian, so he wasn't drinking Asgardian booze.

And poor Dan hadn't realized that he could actually get drunk on Asgardian booze. So he was actually shitfaced by the end of the night. You took it more easily, knowing what you were getting into. This gathering wasn't as huge as the feast would be tomorrow night. You were gathered in one of the smaller dining halls, your brothers, mother, Fenrir, Loki, Thor, Sif, the warriors three, and the entire team of Avengers. Most of the Avengers were allowed to have a drink or two, they had high enough metabolisms to deal with the Asgardian alcohol, except poor Tony who so desperately wanted to try the booze, but wasn't allowed since he was just human.

You told stories all night, staying up late and drinking together. You felt like this was a much better way to celebrate your upcoming wedding than a traditional bachelorette party. You didn't need to see more naked men. You were going to have Loki for eternity. Enjoying an evening feasting and drinking with your friends and family was more than enough.

*

The next morning was a blur. You were woken early in Loki's consort's suite. Tradition demanded that you sleep in separate rooms and you wouldn't get to see him until the actual wedding. Sleeping alone and waking alone hadn't been difficult, but it would be the last night you had to do so.

You didn't have time to think about it the second Frigga, Sif, and Nat came to wake you. Nat and Sif had ended up as your bridesmaids. You all had hair and makeup that morning, a light meal, hours getting ready and final dress fittings with magic. Frigga reminded you all of your parts. She wanted this day to go off without a hitch.