Chapter Three

Baekhyun:

"You ever been to an autopsy?" I asked Jin-young as we pulled up to the Medial Examiner's office downtown. 

"...No." He answered hesitantly. I just managed to keep my face blank as I got out of the car. This should be interesting. I scanned my ID through security and unhooked my service weapon so they could hold it for me until we left. The walk down to the Cold Room was short, but it took me a while to find which room Hae-won had booked for the autopsy. 

"You made it." 

"Of course I did." I grumbled. "It's not like I don't have anything else to do." I said with a sarcastic smile. Just this morning we'd gotten a call from a 15 year old boy who had found his mother strangled to death with a scarf in the front seat of her car. Hae-won stuck out her tongue at me and snapped on a fresh pair of medical gloves. 

"I was just going to open him up. Do you mind?" She asked and I lifted the sheet off my victim carefully. It had been two days since I'd last seen him, but he still looked the same. Too young. 

"What can you tell me so far?" 

"Cause of death seems about right. Strangulation. The larynx was broken. See?" She touched his neck gently and the bone under his jaw shifted slightly. "There was also a piece of cloth in the victim's mouth." 

"Cloth?" I blinked. "Makes sense. The club is a busy place." 

"I don't get it." Jin-young said softly, looking a little pale when Hae-won pulled out a large scalpel. 

"Strangling someone takes time. It's not easy to keep someone struggling quiet for that long. At least without drugs in their system." I said and gave Hae-won a pointed look. 

"Toxicology will only be in by the end of the week." 

"What?" I said, disappointed.

"We're swamped too, you know." She said heatedly. "We had a 3 car pile up last night. There are 7 bodies waiting for me after this. I'll get it done when I have time." 

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." I replied quietly and put on my own pair of gloves so I could help. She sighed and waited until I was done, then tapped the victim's chest. 

"Can you hold him open?" She asked and I peeled back the skin from the Y-incision, pinning it open with some soft forceps. When Hae-won picked up the sternum saw so she could saw into his chest, there was some gagging from Jin-young and he fled the room quickly. "First time?" 

"Yep. Hurry. I need to get back to the station." I said and she started cutting the the sternum to prepare it for the rib shears.

It was like we suspected. No discoloration of the organs to suggest any poisoning and no other signs of any illnesses contributing to the victims early demise.He was perfectly healthy. There was nothing in his stomach so if he was drinking, he might have gotten tipsy faster than usual, but I didn't see anything wrong with that. There was some bruising on his arms and wrists too, so my victim had definitely tried to put up a fight. Whoever had attacked him had one hell of a grip though. 

"You don't realize how fragile the human body is until you can break it with your bare hands." I said and Hae-won snorted. 

"You OK?" I asked Jin-young when I found him leaning against the wall outside the building. He still looked a bit green, but he pinched his lips and nodded slowly.