Shard of Glass

"Murikami-senpai! Are you alright?" I ask, pulling the man to his feet.

"Thanks to you, Maggie-chan. The usual, I presume." He replies, shooing me away. I pause, hesitating, but he had already started his stove.

My family starts to trickle in, drawn by the cooking they have come to love.

---

Back at the apartment, we all disperse to separate bedrooms, where I instantly change into my jammies and crawl into bed.

---

I roll out of bed and dress in my work out clothes: a sports bra, running tank top, and yoga pants. I tie back my unruly hair into a ponytail and set up a Bluetooth boombox. I set my phone on shuffle and hang up a target. The music starts to play.

Can we pretend that

Airplanes

In the night sky

Are like shooting stars?

Cuz I could really use a wish right now,

Wish right now,

Wish right now.

I beat at the target, hitting as hard as my groggy body would allow. Sweat starts to bead at my hairline, rolling almost gracefully down my face. But that isn't the only thing I feel on my cheeks.

Tears start to join the sweat as I release myself from life, from who I pretend to be, and allow the weak, puny, scared little orphan to show through. I hate this side of me. It holds me back, it silences what I am meant to do. How can anyone manage that?

I unconsciously hit the bag harder and harder, leaving red smudges, scraping, and splitting my knuckles, but I don't feel that pain. I only feel the shard of glass in my soul that makes me be this way. And I can't get rid of it.