Mae

I don't stop again until I reach Central Park. Then I pause, hesitating, but I decide to walk through the cold, deserted trees. I don't feel the hours ticking past, but I know they do as I sob up in the branches of an old oak.
"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I never wanted to hurt you! I just can't hurt you! I-I can't!" I sob, burying my face in my knees. "I'm sorry."
Dawn is when I finally tear myself away from the pain. I sniff and leap down, walking out while wiping tears out of my eyes. I have to change my appearance. That means a day of shopping with Lynn before I leave New York forever.
It doesn't take much convincing, for Lynn had just had one daughter. She made me promise that I would take care of her before agreeing. There's no way I could say no.
First, we went clothes shopping. I chose dark clothes that were extremely loose and jeans. We bought a lot of these, then went to the hair dresser. I got my hair dyed black with small strips of purple to honor Donnie. I get it cut slightly shorter too.
Next, we bought baby supplies. I stuffed all of the things into a duffel bag except for the baby carrier that straps them to your front. I was only bringing the youngest, not registered yet. Lynn's never liked hospitals. I gently strap the girl to my front, then carefully ease out the window, accepting the bus fare Lynn offered.
"Don't worry, Mae. Mommy'll take care of you." I coo to the sleeping infant as we bump along on the old, rickety bus. Mae. My baby Mae.