Homeward Bound

It really didn't take me that long to realize we had to New York after I started feeling uneasy. I shuddered randomly. I had fits of tears and paranoia.

One of these times, Toby caught me sniffling.

"What happened? What's the matter?!" he asked frantically, hugging me and holding me close.

"We have to go back..." I replied in a strained voice.

"Why? Why do we have to go back to three hatred? The experiments?!"

"Because they're in trouble. I feel it. It's making me act like this. I can't just let them get hurt!"

"Hold on. We all have to agree to go back. It's only fair..."

It only takes a minute for everyone to assemble in the living room. It takes two hours to convince everyone it's worth it. It takes thirty seconds to convince Mae. It takes fifteen minutes to pack. It takes two minutes to pile in the van and we spend the rest of that Saturday tensely heading home. Home. I nearly forgot what it looked like. Nearly. Who can forget the concrete, the foul smell, the warm and loving smiles? Certainly not this sinning mortal.

Mae sleeps through the trip, waking only occasionally. CDs full of happy, spirited songs blast through the otherwise awkwardly silent air. Tears pour out of my eyes. I'll be home soon! I think to nobody in particular. Home. I miss home...