Mommy

They stay just long enough to determine that I'm actually okay before shoving off. I hear thundering footsteps up the stairs. "MOMMY! MOMMY!" one voice screeches. Another set of feet pounds after it, and I sigh before opening the door.

"MOMMY! LAURIE'S BEING MEAN!" Lynn's daughter, Annabelle, shrieked.

"I AM NOT! I JUST WANTED TO USE THE CRAYONS!" the other child, Laurie, screeched in response. They both start bawling and pointing at each other, attempting to make me punish one of them. I clear my throat.

"Alright, now. Settle down. Hush... Sh... That's it. Now, I'm gonna count to three, and then you'll both apologise, okay? If I think you did a good job and meant what you said, I'll make cookies. Okay? Alright." I start to count, giving the six year olds time to think. "Three. Annabelle?"

"I'm sorry for getting upset and running for Mommy instead of letting you use the crayons. Can you forgive me?" The small girl apologised.

"Thank you, and I accept your apology. I was being really mean about it, though. You had a point to run for Mommy. I'm sorry that I was such a pineapple face to you, Annie... Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?" Her twin responded.

"I already have. Love you!"

"Love you too, sissy!"

I watched with pleasure as they tightly embraced one another.

"Alright, then girls," I said with a grin. "Who wants to help me make cookies?"