Arc 7-4: Yum, Brains!

CHAPTER 4: Despair

"Get a move on!" The burly man uses his shotgun to push the children along the trail.

They were marching through the forest, heading towards the zombie horde which is around the outskirts.

If the zombies enter the forest they would eventually reach the base.

So while they are still out in the open streets, killing them would be easier.

Running away never even crossed many of the children's minds.

The base provided them clothes, food and shelter.

In exchange they risk their lives every so often, scouting, scavenging, and purging like now.

People were chatting merrily, looking carefree. It was if they were on an excursion, and not on a hunt.

The sunlight was filtering through the foilage lighting the way. The birds were chirping their peaceful tunes.

This was surreal.

And yet, everyone seemed so calm.

The Overseer was confused.

Suddenly a tap on her head disturbed her from her thoughts.

She gives the perpetrator a glare.

It was Cole with his signature cheerful smile. "What are you thinking about so badly?"

The Overseer was going to dismiss his question, however stops herself short. She did promise to be more transparent. Using a small quiet voice she responds, "Just about the people here. They seem too calm."

Cole chuckles at her observation. "Then what do you want them to do? Run away like us?" His green eyes glistens with laughter.

The Overseer shrugs. "I guess not. They aren't like us."

Cole suddenly flicks her on the head again. "They aren't like us, however you shouldn't act so arrogant. Don't underestimate mortals. Or else you'll be the one hurt in the end."

Claire bites her lip looking away from him.

Don't look down on them... huh?

They aren't so special.

Poor life expectancy.

Poor judgement.

Poor intelligence.

They are....

Cole suddenly swings his arm over her shoulders. "Their feelings were capable of creating me afterall." He chuckles.

Claire freezes.

That was right.

Perhaps they do hold more power than she had first thought.

Don't underestimate them... right?

They aren't simple toys.