Prologue

The wind blew past my face as I ran, pulling my hair down. The tree came into view, it's long arms stretching towards me as if to embrace me.

"Nina!" A voice barked.

My bare feet made contact with the tree trunk, as I used my upper strength to pull myself up onto the first branch. The tree's leaves rustled in the breeze, as if saying hello to me once again. I climbed to the middle of the tree, I hugged my knees, tears starting to stream down my face. They screamed my name. But they never found me here. I was like in my own little world. The leaves surrounded me but they spread just enough for the sunlight to peek in.

"Nina Anne Jackson!" My father's voice grew nearer. "Get out here now! I'm gonna give it to you, you're in so much trouble young lady!"

But I had done nothing to deserve it. All I did was apply for college. Sure it was a rare thing in my town for a girl to apply for college but I wanted to. I didn't want to be a housewife like the rest of them. It wasn't for me. I heard my mother coming towards the tree. She yelled my name with less anger than my dad. I could hear him growing nearer. I saw them both pass my tree, going the other direction. This was my tree. The tree always protected me and I always protected it. It was like my family. And I loved it. I never brought anyone to my tree expect my sister nor did I think I ever would. They would have to be really special if I did.

Soon it was quiet. The sun started to set and I climbed to the top of the tree to watch it. It was always my favorite part of the day. When the sun is going down and the sky is pink. It was saying goodbye for the night, and it would greet us with almost the same treat when it returned for the day. It is always the perfect way to start and end the day.

I longed for my life, a life of my own. A life that I could be myself. I didn't belong here, never in my life did I fit in, what seemed like anywhere. This old fashioned town stuck in the past. I hoped that one day I would find where I was meant to be. But I knew for a fact that it wasn't here. It could never be here. I couldn't be forced to be someone I wasn't. Times are changing, and this town is stuck in a time a girl like me cannot exist. So I must leave. I have to get out. Whatever it takes. I can't keep suffocating myself here. I feel like I'm trapped in a box and it's slowly feeling up with water and one day there will be no more air left.

I looked off into the distance. I couldn't see London from here. It was a little bit of a distance away but I felt like that's where I belonged. That's where my heart ached to go.

I pulled my notebook out from the little crack in the tree where I always hid it.

I sighed and climbed back down to my branch and started a new song, and when the words started pouring out of me it felt as if one day this song would mean something to someone. Maybe one day I would get out of here. Maybe one day I would finally be able to breathe fully again. But there was no way of knowing. But you could only hope, you could only dream.