Breaking These Walls~Chapter Twenty Four

*Sapphire's POV*

"Come back."

The words were playing in the background. My sons were still watching me with wide eyes, wondering what I would do next.

The voice in the back kept talking. Whoever it belonged to wanted me to stay. He wanted me to be there. He needed me.

"Mommy, go back."

The kids in front of me were so beautiful. They held my world.

"How can I leave you?"

"Just go. Go Mama."

I turned my back on my children. My heart felt like it burst as I walked away from them.

*Daryl's POV*

I kept talking to her. Trying anything I could to get her to wake up. Eventually I had to start patching up her wounds. Her head was bleeding pretty heavily.

We had only a few bandages available. These guys hadn't been on a supply run in a while. Who needed to go on runs when you had this kind of protection as well as plenty of...food available.

I cringed again at the thought of these creeps touching Saph. Or Carl. That poor kid had been through hell and back.

I poured some rubbing alcohol onto a cotton ball and dabbed at the edges of the hole in her head. She barely flinched.

"Sapphire. Are you coming back to me?"

Her eyes snapped open then. They were glazed over. There was nothing there anymore. Sapphire was dead. She was a walker.

I cried again for the first time since I had killed Merle. Why was I cursed with this? Why did everyone I love become a walker?

She raised up then, her jaws snapping at the exposed skin on my arm. I couldn't believe this. Not again. Anything but this.

I scooted backwards away from her. The tears just poured faster. I couldn't do anything once my back was against the wall. I couldn't move. Couldn't speak. Couldn't do anything.

She crawled over to me. Her lips parted in a sadistic smile as she lunged for me again. I raised my crossbow and aimed the point at her dead brain.

*Rick's POV*

Mica was sitting nearby watching as I played with Judith. She was so cute when she giggled. She really loved playing peek-a-boo with her Daddy.

"Mica."

She raised her head to look at me. "Yes sir?" She had always been so repectful.

"I wanted to thank you for earlier. When you told me I should think about taking things over again. And for making sure we have enough to eat. You are such a great person. We are lucky to have you in our group."

She smiled even bigger. "I like helping. I don't want to lose you or anybody else here. You're my family."

She had a point. From Judith to Tyreese, we were a family. Naturally some were closer than others. Specifically between the original group. What was left of us anyway.

Daryl, Maggie, Glen, Beth, Carl, Carol, and myself were all that remained of that group now. They had been there through everything. I couldn't help but silently pray that we would be around for a really long time. We had to be.

"You're right. We are a family. Listen, Mica. When everyone gets back, we will discuss leadership. I still don't think I should be leader. I like the way things are now."

"Sounds like a plan."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short update guys. I'm so thankful for all the support from you guys. Also I wanted to say I didn't mean to vote for my own story the other night.

The only way I can see your comments is if I click on each chapter individually.

Thank you again for all the support. It means the world to me.

~Breanna