Breaking These Walls~Chapter Forty Two

*Daryl's POV*

There was nothing I could do. Nothing I could have done. Except maybe stop her from leaving our camp. Maybe I could have begged her to stay. Maybe she would still be alive if I had.

I could feel tears making tracks down the skin on my face. What had killed her? She wasn't bitten, so it wasn't a walker. Maybe she had had a heart attack or something. Maybe it was painless.

Like so many other times since this whole thing started, I slid down the wall. I remembered everything I had ever done with Carol. I remember trying to help find Sophia. I remember promising to do just that, and keeping that promise, even though it was not the outcome any of us wanted.

I remembered kissing her while the blood ran out of the angel wing jacket I always wear. I could feel the weight of it over my shoulders now. If only they were real. If only I truly were an angel.

The truth was I was far from that. None of us were angels. We couldn't be. Not any more.

I don't know how long I spent sitting there. I was looking for something to blame. Maybe God. After all, He could have stopped this, if He was real. Right? Maybe He wasn't real at all.

Anyway I got up and walked out of the now empty house. They needed me back at the camp. Rick was busy trying to keep an eye on his children. And Glen. The poor guy didn't realize how much danger he was in. Not from Saph, but a lot of people in the camp.

Within an hour, I was back at the camp. The sun was starting to go down. Beth and Carl were watching Judith play in the mud. Rick and Michonne were leaning up against the nearest cabin laughing and talking.

Maggie and Glen were gaurding the gate. Their hands were intertwined.

"Hey Daryl! Where's Sapphire?"

I felt my face change. "Why are you asking me?"

They glanced at each other. Great. Something was up.

Glen spoke next. "We thought she was with you. Nobody has seen her in a while. She took some stuff with her. Including your bow and arrows."

Fear pierced my heart. I had to find her. Fast. Before I lost her just like I lost Carol.

*Sapphire's POV*

It took longer than I thought it would to reach the tiny baby shop. From where I was standing, it looked like it had been torn apart. I bit my lip. Maybe, just maybe, there were still some things in there we could use.

I was sort of disappointed in the fact that I hadn't seen many walkers on the way to the shop. There hadn't been any deer or squirrels either. I still felt like I needed to kill something.

I looked both ways before I crossed the road. Funny how after all this time we never forget what we used to do. No matter how stupid it seems now.

When I reached the door I leaned around the corner to look inside. There was nothing there. Nothing that I could see anyway.

Then I stepped inside. I was right. There wasn't much left. Apparently there had been a lot of people with babies or expecting babies when all of this hit the fan.

There were no walkers in the shop either. Again, I was disappointed. There was only ever a walker when you didn't need them.

I decided to sleep here. I would need the rest to be able to run if I needed to. Plus, I needed an escape.

*Daryl's POV*

All I had was a knife. A blasted knife. They needed the guns to protect the camp. I refused to take them for that reason.

Why did Sapphire have to be so stupid? She knows its dangerous out here. She must have really been upset to just drop the rest of us like bricks.

Man I needed to calm down. I was glad she took my bow, in a weird way. At least she had a way to protect herself. That would be all we need if she were to get kidnapped.

Yeah. That would not be good. Not again.

Her tracks were fairly old. These were anyway. She was probably long gone. But I didn't care. I needed her. I would find her somewhere. And I knew that if she wanted to, if she just asked, I would leave with her.

I stopped in my tracks. Did I really just say that out loud?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another short update guys :) I love you all so much and I appreciate everything you do. I love reading these comments that you guys leave.

Don't forget to message me if you need me. And you can follow me on Instagram. My username is rebeldixie_2015. I'll follow you back just like I do on here. :)

Again, I love you all. I'll see you next time. ♥♥♥

~Breanna