Dekalb County

As we drove by the neighborhood in Dekalb County, I looked out the window and see boys who are no young than 15 or 14 selling drugs, gambling, and rapping. They're were no white people in sight and I looked up and their shoes on the telephone pole. We pulled up to my grandmother's house and unload the bags. 

"Hey, mama. We're here!" Katherine yelled.

"Hey, there!" my grandma said.

"Ly, say Hello to your grandma." Katherine said as I waved to my grandma.

"Y'all come on in!" my grandma said.

I walked inside of her house and saw a lot of pictures of my mother when she was a little girl, my grandpa that I never known and pictures of my aunties.

"So y'all make yourself at home and i'll show you to your rooms." Grandma said.

I walked into my new room, that use to be my Uncle's room who past away two years ago. I unpacked my stuff and heard the front door open. It was my dad's first baby momma,  Charlene, who has a ten year old son named, Marcus, she was pregnant with him since she was fourteen. He's also my half-brother.

"Hi, Madison, we're here." Charlene said as she and her son came in and closed the door.

"Charlene." Katherine said sarcastically.

"Hello, Kat. What brings you by?" Charlene said looking down.

"We've moved out of Lawrenceville, so now we'll be staying here for awhile." Katherine explained.

"Oh so the white folks, kicked you and your son out, huh?" Charlene said.

"Charlene, it wasn't like that." Madison said.

"Well, I got an appointment, so can you watch Marcus for awhile until I get back?" Charlene asked.

"Sure thing. Hey, Ly! Come down stairs, your brother, Marcus is here." Madison called me down.

I ran out of my new room to see my half brother and I was excited to see him. We don't see each much often, he also like my play date.

"Marcus!" I exclaimed.

"What's up, L?" Marcus said as he gave me a dab.

"Well, I'm late. Hey, Marcus, mommy gotta go. Be good to your grandma." Charlene said as he left.

"Bye, mama." Marcus said.

"Hey, ma. Can you watch him for an hour?" Katherine said.

"Katherine, you know, I'll always watch him." Madison said.

"Well.. Thank you." Katherine said.

"Why you keep leaving him like this, Katherine?" Madison said as mom started to leave.

"Hey, you alright?" Katherine asked me.

"Mom, it's Saturday. It's suppose to be our time together." I said.

"I know, baby, but momma gotta work. To get money to buy you new sneakers and a new house of our own. We'll be living here until I can afford a new place. Smile. Smile." Katherine said as I smiled a little for baby.

"You can play with your brother, Marcus, while I'm gone. You two haven't seen each other." Katherine said.

"I know." I said as my mom hugged me goodbye.

"I love you, Ly." She said.

"I love you, too." I said.

"I gotta go." Katherine said as she left.