Birth

I was once happy, content. Sloshing around in my own primordial pool, then one day, for reasons beyond my control. I was repeatedly crushed over and over by the cruel cervix of my mother. I put up a good fight, but I lost the first time, but not the last. 

Two days later after 9/11, a young pregnant teenager who is rushed inside at Gwinnett Medical Center. The teenage is in labor and breathing rapidly as her mother and nurses helped her in a wheelchair and roll her in the hospital.

"Oh mom. It hurts!" said the pregnant teen.

"I know baby, I know. Just keep breathing I'll be in there." said the mother as the paramedic rush the girl in the labour room.

"Okay, honey, tell me your name?" said the nurse.

"Katherine... Katherine Cawthorn." she winced.

"How old are you, Katherine?" asked the nurse.

"17." Katherine said.

"Okay, Katherine, where is the baby father?" the nurse asked.

"Dead. He was shot two months ago.." Katherine said as she continues to breathe.

"I'm so sorry to hear that, sweetie." said the nurse

Katherine was about to go in C-Section, as the baby was about to come out.

"Come on, Kat, you can do it. Push now!" said the nurse.

"Come on, baby, just a little more." said her mother.

"That's it. I see the head!" said the nurse as Kat was trying to push the baby out.

Kat was pushing as hard as she could, sweat was coming down her forehead as she grunting and pushing me out of her vagina.

"Okay, here he comes! Here he comes!" said the nurse.

As I was coming out of my mother's stomach. I open my eyes and had a blurry vision and looked at my mother.

"He's here! Your son is here!" said the nurse as my grandma cut my umbilical cord. The nurse hand me over to my mother as I laid right next to her. The nurse took me out of the room and dried me up with a towel and place me in a mobile bed.

30 minutes laters, my mother was breastfeeding me, and her and my grandmother were watching the coverage news of the post 9/11 trauma. We spent two whole days in the hospital, holding me under the soft glow of the television watching those towers falls over and over again,  until the feelings of grief gave way to numbness .

"Don't worry, baby. We'll do this together. Just you and me." Katherine mother said as she rubbed her shoulders.

"Yeah, I know, even though Lysander won't have his Father around him growing up. He needs some mentors when he gets older. Someone who can teach him right and wrong." Katherine said as she cradled me.

"We'll make it right for him and have him a better future." said Katherine's mother.

"Yeah, for Lysander." said Katherine as she looked at me.

And then without warning, a middle class childhood in American suburb. I remember when I first looked at my neighborhood, I wish I had a map or a compass to get out of the suburbans. To be honest, anyone capable of giving one iota of a good fucking advice. And I know it all may seem sad, but, guess what I didn't build the system nor did I fucked it up.