HB! [1]

J E O N G Y E O N

Walking alone on her way back home, seventeen-year-old Jeongyeon was looking down, ashamed to show her face because it was full of bruises. As soon as she entered their house, a lady in her mid-thirties was about to greet her with a smile but her eyes widened in shock when she saw her daughter's state.

The lady immediately approached the teenager and held her face.

"What happened to you? Who did that to you?" Worry was evident in her voice. 

"Am I a monster?" she asked, so suddenly that her mom couldn't even find a quick response. It had been minutes before she was able to answer.

"No, you're not, Yoo Jeongyeon. You are precious and you are an angel, our angel. You will never be a monster" The lady sternly replied as she clasped the teen's cheek gently.

"Then why? Why is the world treating me like this?" Jeongyeon's voice cracked as she started to sob uncontrollably.

"Mom, I'm tired... I know you too" she continued before running to her room. Her mom was left there, rendered speechless. Unable to speak or even move because of the rushing emotions of mixed anger, pain, sadness, and worries inside her mind and heart.

"Everything will be fine soon, Jeongyeon"

F L A S H B A C K
10 YEARS AGO

"Happy birthday, Jeongyeon!!" Everybody sang and greeted her with smiles plastered on their faces. After that, she automatically blew out the lighted candle on her cake. They all clapped their hands enthusiastically. Jeongyeon's father messed her hair as they all cheered for her. She felt happy because she was celebrating her birthday with her family. Though she knew it would be more fun if she had friends to invite over, she was rather delighted to have amazing and supportive people around her. It's okay for her, after all, she doesn't need those.

"We're not done yet, we have a surprise for you!" Mrs. Yoo added as she ushered her way toward a huge box.

Jeongyeon's expression turned into excitement and bliss. It's a giant box, triple times bigger than her.

"Pull the ribbon, sweetie!" Mr. Yoo guided the young girl towards it.

"1..2..3!!!!"

After the countdown, a mysterious man wearing a bunny ear, white mustache, bunny teeth, and a spectacle on her right eye came out of the box.

"Eh?" the kid tilted her head in confusion.

"Hello, kiddo! Let this bunny introduce himself to you" the man energetically greeted as he waved his hand mechanically.

"I'm Dr. Bunny, you can call me Bunny Man!" He posed like a superhero. 

"or Bunbun!" He squatted like a bunny and brought his hands above his head and positioned it as if they were a bunny's ears. Laughter ensued at Yoo's residence.

"or… oh Mr. Buns! You can call me however you want, whatever you want" Jeongyeon's eyes sparkled. She was enjoying the man's vibes. He let out a chuckle and walked toward the kid, kneeling in front of her

'I heard from your parents that you like bunnies that much so I am here to be your bunny buddy!" he said before throwing her hands up in the air. He earned a loud giggle from Jeongyeon. 

Mr. and Mrs. Yoo exchanged glances and smiles knowing that Jeongyeon was genuinely charmed by the guy's goofiness.

"So do you like me as your gift?" Dr. Bunny asked the kid. She responded quickly by nodding her head.

"Then give this Dr. Bunny a hug as proof!" he said and the kid hugged him swiftly.

The doctor smiled as he successfully gained the kid's trust. He gave her head pats before fishing something from his pocket.

"Dr. Bunny has something for our birthday girl" Dr. Bunny gave her a fidget spinner with bunny designs. Jeongyeon's face contorted into glee as soon as she took the gift from the man. 

"When someone or something makes Jeongie feel sad, just spin it. When someone or something makes Jeongie feel mad, still spin it. When Jeongie feels happy, you can still spin it! Just imagine that it's me and that it will make me dizzy" he said warmly to the kid.

Jeongyeon spun it hard and as soon as she did, Dr. Bunny acted as if he was being dizzy.

They all burst into laughter. After a series of giggling, the kid and the doctor's eyes met. He gave him a friendly fatherly smile and Jeongyeon responded with a beam, showing her tiny full sets of teeth.

5 YEARS LATER

"Dr. Bunny!" Jeongyeon called the man that was about to leave at the front door of their house.

"When will you come back?" she asked the doctor, pouting while she was hugging a brown bunny stuffie.

The man kneeled so that he could face her then cracked a gentle smile as he held the teen's shoulder.

"Do not be sad, kiddo. Dr. Bunny will return after Christmas and New Year's holidays." He responded.

"Why is it too long? Can you spend Christmas with us? Pleaaaase. You always leave when its year ends" Jeongyeon whined just like most kids her age did and the man chuckled at the teen's cuteness. 

Years after their adorable meeting, Jeongyeon grew very close to him. The kid became so comfortable and though he wanted to stay as professional as he needed to be, his yearning for his own child made him treat the teen as his own too just like how the kid treated him as his second father and also, her one and only friend.

"Dr. Bunny is going to spend Christmas with his family too. Don't worry, I'm going to come back as soon as possible, alright?" he brought both of his thumbs up.

Jeongyeon nodded, convinced at the doctor's reason yet there was still disappointment evident on her face.

"Jeongyeon, let's not hold Dr. Bunny back anymore. He will be late and he will miss his flight. You don't want to make your friend sad, do you?" The teen's father appeared at the front door.

Aggressively shaking her head, the friends bid goodbye to each other. The man let out a light chuckle as he entered his car when she saw Jeongyeon still waving his hands. Such an innocent soul.

Although he wanted to spend more time with Jeongyeon, he had a family of his own too. A wife and a kid that was a year older than Jeongyeon. Her daughter liked bunnies the same amount as Jeongyeon and their playful schemes were almost similar which explains why he grew super close to the kid. It reminded him of his child that is currently living in the States.

He can only visit his family when it's his wife's or daughter's birthday and December holidays. Thankfully, he never missed any of these important dates. It was the only thing that connected him to them.

Oh, God knows how he longed to be with his family every single day that he was away from them.

He felt a buzz in his pocket so he fished out his phone just to be welcomed by a text from his kid. 

Daddy's Princess

:Appa, palli! Come home!!!

Ne, I'm at the airport now
Appa will come home 🤍

He turned off his phone without waiting for the reply because he was too excited to finally be able to spend the season with his family.

E N D  O F  F L A S H B A C K