X. 2,000 Light Years From Home (Part I)

[Home]

Dean woke up the next morning and browsed the Internet. Sam was drawing a tree and Holly was reading through a book, researching lore, trying her best to read.

Dean looked up. "Alright. I've been cruisin' some websites. I think I found a few candidates for our next gig. A fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali--it's crew vanished. And, uh, we got some cattle mutilations in West Texas. Hey." Sam looked up at him. "Am I boring you with this hunting evil stuff? Clearly Holly isn't listening."

Holly frowned. "I am, too."

Sam shook his head. "No. I'm listening. Keep going."

Dean continued. "And, here, a Sacramento man shot himself in the head. Three times." Sam had zoned out, so he waved a hand in front of his brother's face. "Any of these things blowin' up your skirt, pal? Holly?"

Sam studied his picture and frowned. "Wait. I've seen this."

"Seen what?" Holly asked.

Sam stood up and searched through his duffel bag. Dean frowned. "What are you doing?"

Sam didn't answer, but instead, looked at the picture of their family when Holly was a baby. He then compared the tree in the picture to the tree he'd drawn. They were the same. He looked up. "Dean, Holly, I know where we have to go next."

Dean frowned. "Where?"

"Back home--back to Kansas."

"Okay, random. Where'd that come from?"

He showed the photo to his siblings. "Alright, um, this photo was taken in front of our old house, right? The house where Mom died?"

Holly shrugged. "Don't look at me."

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

Sam continued on. "And it didn't burn down, right? I mean, not completely, they rebuilt it, right?"

Holly frowned, feeling confused while Dean asked roughly, "I guess so, yeah. What the hell are you talkin' about?"

"Okay, look, this is gonna sound crazy, but...the people who live in our old house--I think they might be in danger."

Holly's brow furrowed. "Why exactly would you think that?"

Sam avoided her eyes. "Uh...it's just, um...look, just trust me on this, okay?" He started walking away and his siblings followed.

"Wait, whoa, whoa, trust you?" Dean protested.

"Yeah."

"Come on, man, that's weak. You gotta give us a little bit more than that."

Sam shook his head. "I can't really explain it is all."

"Well, tough. We're not leaving until you do." Dean crossed his arms.

Sam let out a sigh. "I have these nightmares."

Holly nodded slowly. "We've noticed."

"And sometimes...they come true."

Sam's words registered in Dean's mind. "Come again?"

"Look, Dean, Holly...I dreamt about Jessica's death--for days before it happened."

Dean sat on the bed. "Sam, people have weird dreams, man. I'm sure it's just a coincidence."

Sam shook his head. "No, I dreamt about the blood dripping, her on the ceiling, the fire, everything, and I didn't do anything about it cause I didn't believe it. And now I'm dreaming about that tree, about our house, and about some woman inside screaming for help. I mean, that's where it all started, man, this has to mean something, right?"