CIX. (109) On the Turning Away

[Hello, Cruel World]

"Bobby? Holly?" Dean asked.

Bobby sat up and Holly moved closer to Dean.

Dean turned to Leviathan-Cas. "How many of you ass clowns are in there? A hundred? More?"

Leviathan-Cas was dripping black fluid and Dean continued. "Your vessel's gonna explode, ain't it? Wouldn't do anything too strenuous. In fact, I'd call it a day, head on home, huh?"

"We'll be back for you." Leviathan-Cas said.

Bobby frowned. "Well, this is a new one."

Nate ran in, eyes wide. "Dean, Holly, I need you right now."

They ran out after him and found him against a wall. "Sam!" Dean called. "You hearing me?" He placed a hand on Sam's chest. "Whoa. Look at me. Hey. Alright, we got to button this up. Come on, let's get out of here. Come on."

Leviathan-Cas walked into a reservoir. The hunters watched as he went under. A whirlpool appeared and black liquid radiated from it before disappearing.

"Aw, hell." Bobby and Nate muttered.

"Damnit." Dean said.

Bobby glanced at him. "You said it. Those...whatever you call 'ems..."

"Leviathan." Sam and Holly said.

"Right. If they're in the pipes, they got themselves a highway to anywhere."

"Awesome." Dean replied, picking up Cas's trenchcoat, which had floated to the edge of the reservoir. "Okay. So he's gone."

Bobby nodded. "Yeah. Rest in peace. If that's in the cards."

Dean folded the trenchcoat and looked at it sadly. "Dumb son of a bitch."

"Well, he was friends with us, wasn't he? Can't get much dumber than that. Come on, those things will be coming up for air soon."

Sam fell asleep on the couch, Holly looking after him.

Sam eventually woke up and Dean said, "Sammy." He touched Sam's chest. "Sammy, hey--" Sam jumped. "Whoa. That's twelve hours straight; I'm calling that rested. Here." He handed Sam a bottle of water and a power bar. "Hydrate, and uh, protein-ate."

Holly raised an eyebrow. "Protein-ate?"

"Shut up."

"Breakfast in bed." Sam replied with a small smile.

"Don't get used to it. Let me see that hand."

Dean removed the Sam's bandage and inspected the stitches. "Eh, you'll live." He poured whiskey over Sam's wound and Sam sucked in a pained breath. "Alright, take it easy."

"So, ooze invasion." Sam said. "Any leads?"

Bobby turned to him. "I got all my feelers out. Whatever they're up to, it ain't--ain't about going Mothra down Main Street. They'll turn up. You seem pretty eager to stretch your legs, you know."

Nate bandaged Sam's hand as he mumbled, "Mmm."

Holly gave her brother a stern look. "Now onto our next big problem. How're you doin'? And do not tell us you're okay."

Sam met her eyes. "I'm not okay."

"You think?" Dean retorted.

Bobby frowned. "Hey. Go a little easy."

"There's nothing easy about it, Bobby. Okay. We acted like he had everything under control."

Sam's head dropped. "I get it. I'm sorry. Look, I-I didn't exactly want to crack up, you know?"