A Lesson for the Duo

Aarushi hopped into the room with a huge smile adorning her small, cute face and stood at the side as her twin and her cousin played Wii and juggled around with the controllers in their hands.

Aarushi - Alshiiii, Bhaiiiii, all day u pay thish. Now we pay wid mah Barbie an Deam Haush?

She lovingly caressed her Barbie's tiny head and admired the princess costume she had just changed her into. With all her dolls changed, it was time to play with them in her big Dream House.

Akshay - I'm a boy. Boys don't play with doll houses.

Aarushi grimaced at him. She loved her big bro but she could never tolerate the fact that he didn't like her Barbies.

Aarushi - Why? Why no pay? Doll haush shoo fun. I pay wid uah caahsh (cars), neva shay no.

Arshi - Aalu, shide (side)!

Arshi jumped as her sister was standing beside her and hindering her movements. Aarushi moved back and then looked at both with a pout.

Aarushi - Peeeeesh, letsh pay.

Akshay - Ok, we will play with your dolls. But first you have to play with us. Done?

Aarushi beamed immediately and jumped in joy. This was a good compromise for all three of them. So she took her pink controller in her right hand, the left one gripping on her Barbie doll and jumped around with her siblings, enjoying and looking forward to playing with her Dream House.

After a while they were at the third game already, racing each other on their bikes and creating havoc in the hall. Arshi was the first one to cross the ribbon they had tied just before the entrance area and jumped victoriously. Akshay sulked as he lost and Aarushi, despite being the last had a huge smile set on her face.

Aarushi - Now we go up and pay wid Deam Haush.

Akshay - No no, let's race again. This time I'll win and you'll be loooooosah!!!

He stuck his tongue out at Arshi who smirked in response, not bothering the challenge and mounted back on her bike. Aarushi got off holding her Barbie and stared at the two as they rode back to the starting position. This was the third time they were doing that to her. They wanted to keep playing their own games and not come to play with her. She stood there with a saddened face and blinked as her eyes moistened.

Akshay and Arshi kept laughing and racing while Aarushi let her bike fall and slowly climbed the stairs, using one foot at a time. She ran inside her parents' bedroom but it was empty. So she sat down in a corner of the room where her medium sized dollhouse was kept, the bigger one was in her own room but she didn't want to go there. She sat down and placed her dolls in their respective rooms, all the while sobbing slowly.

Khushi was at the poolside, watering the plants. She had seen her baby come in but now her heart beat uneasily as she witnessed her sobs. The mother in her couldn't help but put the watercan down and run in to her daughter. She sat down and put Aarushi in her lap.

Khushi - Aaru, shona, what happened? Why is my jaan crying?

She held her closer to herself as her daughter broke into audible cries, hugging her mother with her small hands and wetting her kurti on her chest. But Khushi didn't care about it, she only cared about her crying baby.

Khushi - Aaru, my jaan, look at Mumma. Tell me why my loveliest baby is crying? You know Mumma can't see your tears.

She put a finger under her chin and made her look up. Her eyes continued to pour but she tried to put forward her reason.

Aarushi - Alshi, Bhai *sob* they, neva *sob* pay deam haush *sob* o-waysh, me *sob* no lishen *sob* vely bad *sob* they vely bad.

Khushi wiped her cheeks with her hand and let her blow her nose in her dupatta. She put her on her shoulder and rubbed her back.