A Birthday Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

An angry woman

A desperate man

A creative and understanding sister

An adorable set of twins

A naughty boy

And a kitchen

Directions:

Step 1: Get the idea to bake a cake

Anjali was working at her office in the NGO when her phone rang. It was her little brother. She attended it smiling.

Anjali - Hi Chote

Arnav - Di, I need your advice.

She knew this tone. It meant trouble for her brother. And she knew what could be the reason. It's his lovely wife's bday today.

Anjali - Don't tell me you forgot Khushiji's birthday again!?

The silence on the other side confirmed her doubt.

Anjali - Chote, how come you never forget mine and twins' bday but hers always?

Arnav - I don't know. Maybe because I start organizing their bday party months before.

Anjali - You're very bad, keep forgetting her bday and your anniversary every year. And don't blame it on work.

He sighed. Of course she'll lecture him first and then help him out.

Arnav - Now Khushi is angry. She even convinced twins to be angry with me. They too aren't talking to me. What do I do?

Anjali giggled. Trust Khushi to drag their kids into the matter.

Anjali - Gift her something with great value.

Arnav - I know no Sari or jewellery will help. She wants something with a personal touch. And I'm running out of ideas slowly.

Anjali - I also meant personal value Chote. Something that'll show her how much you care and that you made great efforts for the gift.

And both got their brain working. She remembered his first bday after their marriage.

Anjali - Remember the time you made Jalebis for her? It was personal.

Arnav - So I shall make Jalebis for her?

Anjali - Oh God. It must be difficult to be a man, a species without brain.

He rolled his eyes at his sister's comment while she laughed at the roast.

Anjali - You are not a three years old. If Arshi and Aarushi gift us the same drawing again and again, we appreciate it because they are kids. But the rules for elders vary. A gift has to be better than the last one.

Arnav - Di, why don't you jump to the point?

Anjali - Bake a cake for her!

And of course it was the woman who came up with an idea.

Arnav - Thanks Di. I'll see you later.

He disconnected the call and first googled for recipes and even watched some videos. That is so easy, he thought. He'll be thinking otherwise soon enough.

Step 2: Get twins on Bord!

They both glared him with narrowed eyes and flaring noses. Aarushi's hands were resting on her hips while Arshi had them crossed over her chest.

Arnav - I know I forgot your Mumma's birthday and you think you should be mad at me because your mother said so. But I have a plan. I'll bake a cake for her.