Chapter 53

2009

Kongpob sat in the corner of the room with his head between his legs. Mild wrapped one arm around him hugging him from the side. They've been here since 6 am in the morning. Kongpob has barely eaten in the past three days. The only thing keeping him going is the person next to him. At times, he can't even make out what people are saying to him. 'This can't be really happening', he kept telling himself. 'This must be a dream, a nightmare of some sort. I just need to wake up', he told himself.

The tissue in Kongpob's hand has already started to crumble into bits and pieces getting all over his black mourning suit. The reality of his father's death has not sunk in yet. Even at this very moment at the monastery hall for his funeral, it is still too surreal. He was playing golf just last week with his father. His father had high blood pressure, but he had been very diligent in taking his medication, and exercised regularly. How could this have happened? His tears have gone dry already, and now it's just dry heaving. He continued to internally argued with himself like it would make a difference, but he knew it wouldn't.

Mild got up to get Kongpob some water. Kongpob hasn't been eating or sleeping. She wished there was more that she can do for him, but all she can do is stay by his side. She tried to comfort him as much as she can. She made sure he at least took a few bites every meal. She watched Kongpob go to sleep the past few nights since Uncle Kerklai passed away before she went home. Her playful and handsome prince is no longer smiling, and she doesn't know what to do.

The adults are gathered around tables whispering, eating, and drinking. The employees and their families have also come to pay their respect, and bid their beloved boss a last farewell. The boss that was never too good to eat with them in the factory, never too good to roll up his own sleeves to help fix any machine that was broken, and never too busy for a troubled employee. Everyone was going to sorely miss Kerklai Suthilak.

Sonya: How dare you show you face here? My husband's body is not even cold yet, and you want me to sell the company?

Keith Suthilak: Sister, please don't make me sound like a monster. I'm just trying to help. We should sell the company while it is still worth something. Without Kerklai around anymore, who will be able to handle the company?

Sonya: Kongpob is the heir. He will take over soon. I will help manage in the meantime. You have no right to make this request. You have sold most of your share over the years to competitors, and we've had to struggle to buy it all back. Just because Kerklai didn't expose you, doesn't mean I don't know about your awful deeds.

Keith Suthilak: It's within my rights to sell my share to anyone I want. I'm just trying to cut my losses. Kerklai just never knew when to give up. If he would have agreed to sell the company a few years back, we would have made a handsome profit. My father always just favored that weakling. This is his fate. He's a weakling himself, and he married another weakling. Now they can meet in hell. Watch, his kid won't be much better.

SMACK

Sonya: How dare you talk like that here? Get out before I have someone drag you out.

Keith Suthilak: You haven't heard the last of me.

Seething, Keith Suthilak left announcing that Siam Polymer was on the brink of bankruptcy. Everyone should dump their stock as soon as possible. Rumors started to spread, and investors started to panic.

Two days after the funeral. That's all the time the investors gave to Sonya Suthilak. They came knocking on Sonya's door for financial clarity. They demanded to see all documents on their assets, and launched an investigation for internal fraud based on the claims of Keith Suthilak. No one gave the widow time to grieve. She needed to protect the falling empire, and watch over her son. She would be damned if she would let it all crumble in her hands.