Chapter 34 - The Long Wait

For a while now Jack has been in and out of sleep once again but so many things are on her mind it's so hard to even close her eyes. Negan has not returned and now she fears the absolute worse that he is dead for good this time, and this makes her ball her eyes out so bad she has to wipe her eyes with her t shirt. Jack feels that it has been two days since she has seen him and even though he might have been back, she knows he had to go back out to get something or there is something more sinister at work here and there is nothing she can do about it.

If she could do anything she would, but it's not that easy anymore, things are not like they once were when they lived at the large factory, also known as the sanctuary. Jack protected Negan when she could and he always does his best to keep her safe, but now it's so much more crucial that she stays right where she is for her baby, and he is worth all of it. But it still kills her inside not being able to go out and find her husband, and the best thing she can do is relax and keep hoping for the best. It's not really healthy for her to be this way, and she looks down to her sleeping baby boy and he makes her heart feel warm and gooey inside, and for now that is all she can think about.

Back in the woods miles away from his wife, Negan sets his plan into motion and now he just has to wait to make his move and this could be tricky. These people in skin masks are rather cautious and at their camp, they keep themselves hidden and quiet to not attract the actual dead that threaten their very lives. Over the course of his run with them, he had learned some of their secrets, and that was mostly because he had to do the dirty work that Beta had put him up too. Well that worked to his advantage because now he knows how to sneak in and what weapons they have.

The only thing that Negan has is a large metal pipe and knife he had stolen from the camp. He wishes Lucille could accompany him for this mission but she was left behind inside the door before he was taken. Negan wonders if Jack has found it and if she did, his wife must know at this point that something had happened to him. But he wants her to stay put because he is coming home and real soon at that. He keeps watch, the very few whispers roam around their border making sure things are clear before they get some rest for the early evening. The sun has since been setting and the air is quite chilly as of now but nothing is going to stop him from doing this.

Negan waits patiently till the time is right and that comes right about now as Alpha and Beta have made themselves comfy inside the cave she stays in, and Negan knows just how to get inside it so he can smash her head in while she sleeps. Lucille of course would do a much better job in this case but she is not here, so Negan has to make do with the long pipe he used to get out of the herd that nearly took his life. After that he is still covered in some blood, so Alpha and Beta come out and the rest wake up and now it's time for Negan to show himself to her and make his presence known so he can attack when time is on his side to do so.

Walking into the camp with the pole on his shoulder, he is proud and cocky that once again he has come out of almost dying and the group moves to the side as he strolls right to the leader and the shocked Beta who just got done telling his Alpha that Negan was better being dead and she got done saying that she had expected more from him but now she is proved wrong. Negan shows up before her and kneels, surprisingly to her and to Beta. He pleads allegiance to her and this is all part of his plan to kill her when her back is turned but first to build the trust.

Negan wants to get this over with as soon as possible, so he faces the bald woman who has the look of pure shock plastered across her face. She has no idea her lurking death is coming for her and neither does anyone else. The others keep quiet and watch as the tall man in leather is down on his knees. "Hi" he says blankly. "I'm Negan and we haven't formally met but I know who the fuck you are and whether or not my reputation proceeds me or not" he stares right to her and she is intrigued by his sudden and rather shocking dedication to her.