Chapter 63 - Sadness

After being shot by an unknown assailant, Negan lays on the ground bleeding heavily and the ones who shot him come out from behind the trees. He obviously was being watched for some time and they waited for the perfect moment to assassinate him. He is nearly unconscious, the only thing that is keeping him alive is his family back at the house and he's being strong so he can get back to Jack and his children, but his eyes are faintly closing but they are open just enough to see who the mysterious shooter is.

Out comes the shock of his life, Daryl Dixon and another woman, with grey hair. He has seen her before but doesn't know her name, it's Carol he thinks, they hover over his body and argue about how he's not dead. "He ain't dead yet" Daryls course voice can barely be heard by him and Carol is also talking but Negan passes out before he can make out their conversation. "We let 'em rot here, so he dies, I ain't giving no shit 'bout him" Daryl says looking down on his former enemies body.

Daryl and Carol have been tracking Negan and Jack for a long time now, it's taken them a long time to find them here, and how they did following the car tracks outside Alexandria all the way till they found the car at the end of this dirt drive. Daryl has immediately known that the car was the one outside Hilltop and he knew right when the man himself escaped that it was his girl Jack that broke him out and they ran off. So for the past year or more he's been going out farther each time, just to make sure Negan never comes back to hurt anyone ever again. All of the people in Alexandria want his head on a spike, knowing he is alive makes them all uneasy so Daryl never gave up.

Now that they have found him and he's laying on the ground dying, the redneck finds no remorse and wants him to suffer like his friends did that night he confronted them. Back at the house Jack realizes that she heard a gunshot, and it's odd to her because Negan didn't take a gun with him so where did that come from she wonders. The girl puts Iris to sleep after feeding her and Theo is sitting on the floor playing with his toys and Jack stands out on the porch looking for Negan and he's not in sight.

Now she worries because something seems really off about the fact that he should've come back by now and he's nowhere to be found. She can't leave her babies alone to look for him, but maybe if she stays near the house if she walks out the yard a little to look down the drive for him it would be alright. So that's what Jack does, she grabs her pocket knife that sits in her boots, and she walks down the porch and tries her best to spot her man but she can't see that well since it's getting dark like it's gonna rain so now she really has to hurry and find him before it pours and makes things more difficult to look through.

Panic is settling in for real now, she calls out for Negan yelling loudly so he can hear and since he's passed out and nearly dead, Daryl and Carol stand over to make sure he dies for good this time, being as heartless as they are. Jack keeps going and going until the two hear her voice and now they want to confront her too, maybe not kill her but neither one of them know about the babies. Jack sees something, two unknown people standing outside the fence and they hover over Negan, she can see him laying on the ground not moving and she runs as fast as her legs take her, till she pulls her knife out to defend herself.

"No no no no no, baby stay with me stay with me you're okay, Negan please you're okay baby" she's down on the ground with him and he's barely alive and conscious. The gunshot has bled through his white shirt and now the girl has a bow and arrow pointed at her head. "Please, don't kill me Daryl, look i don't know how you found us and it doesn't matter just please i have two kids back at the house, our little boy and our baby girl, please if you kill me they will die and have nobody" she cries out of control, her tears are real and she tries to stay strong for Negan, but they could possibly die side by side right now at the hands of two people who want nothing but revenge.

"Why should i?" Daryl is still wanting her to die but in the mind of Carol, she looks at Jack as she comforts a dying Negan and after hearing her plead for her life because of her babies, Carol feels something for her and it's guilt. The thought of Sophia her own daughter that she lost and all the other kids she looked after that have died in this world, it would not be fair to kill Jack when she's mostly innocent in all this. The girl is leaning down onto her husbands bloody chest, her hands are covered in his blood but his heart is still beating and Jack can save him if she lives, so right now she has to beg for her life.